Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Apprentice

Default Todd's Oven

This is the beginning of my 42" build in North Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
Todd's Oven-cimg1748.jpg   Todd's Oven-cimg1756.jpg   Todd's Oven-cimg1749.jpg   Todd's Oven-cimg1729.jpg  
Old 08-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Todd's Oven

Todd,

Looks like you are off to a great start, and about ready to build your dome. I like your work, it is clean and orderly.

How are you planning to finish the exterior?

JED
Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Jed,

I am going up to the top of the dome with 4" block walls and stone, then a peaked roof. The dome gets a 2" Aluminum silicate blanket then loose fill vermiculite to the roof
Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Journeyman

What a neat mix of bricks for the facade. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the build.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Apprentice

subscribed
Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Apprentice

Thanks guys, I went with 6" of vermiculite/portland mix on top and I know the plans call for 3.5" .... is this ok?

I am thinking about incorporating a small flash boiler tank and an antique train whistle so when the oven reaches temperature the digital gauge closes the relay contacts and injects a shot of water in to the flash boiler giving the whistle a shot of steam... Pizza alert!! Bet my neighbours would love that...
Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Journeyman

Hahahah--love the whistle idea! That's much more fun than a temperature gauge.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddj View Post
Thanks guys, I went with 6" of vermiculite/portland mix on top and I know the plans call for 3.5" .... is this ok?
More insulation is better. Sounds ok to me!

Quote:
I am thinking about incorporating a small flash boiler tank and an antique train whistle so when the oven reaches temperature the digital gauge closes the relay contacts and injects a shot of water in to the flash boiler giving the whistle a shot of steam... Pizza alert!!
Oh MAN, that will be TOO COOL!! If you do it, I would love to see the details and pics (even a video of it working!?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Master Builder

I concur - the whistle would be a unique and awesome idea! Would it have to rely on the ambient oven temp or could you link it to a thermocouple embedded in the floor, for example, so it whistles when the temps have equalized and it's truly ready for pizza?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Apprentice

The transmitting thermocouples I am using feed 4-20ma signal to a digital temp display that can drive a relay at a set point. If I set the set temp to say 700f and have it drive a solonoid pushing a bimba cylinder with a check valve it can give a regulated shot of water into a flash chamber made of standard steel or stainless water pipe with a pipe thread end cap bottom and a reducer top. connect the reducer to a pressure line to the whistel and woo.. woo.. Il do a drawing later..