Old 01-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Journeyman

Default Tent takes flight

A word to the wise from the not so. When using an enclosure to extend the building season use every hole and loop provided by the manufacturer to tether the structure to earth. I had grown a bit cocky having survived some fairly significant storms with only the four corner ties staked to the ground. Beginning of January we had another storm that ripped all but one cord out (the only thing that kept this thing from going into the trees).

8:17am Wind was brutle and sub zero temps, looked out and noticed tent was lifting up by about 6". Need to get out there to get some block on the feet. Probably time for a couple more emails.`

8:37am Too late... Tent lifts up and comes smashing down on top corner, bending a fair amount of corner structure.

9:07 All hands (my wife), all flaps open, tent now upright with block on feet (50 minutes too late) and temp tethers in place. Wife asks if I really need to be taking pictures, I say a real photographer never gets involved or influences news as it plays out. She leaves shortly thereafter.

9:30 All is restored, a cleat in every hole, a tie to every loop. I decide to just let thing blow through until wind dies down. Frame is quickly straigtened out via a series of bar clamps. All is well with the world (sorry, suffering a bit of Jean Shepherd overload from the holidays).

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Tent takes flight-817.jpg   Tent takes flight-837.jpg   Tent takes flight-907.jpg   Tent takes flight-930.jpg  
Old 01-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tent takes flight

Glad to hear all was not lost (referring to the tent).
I especially like your reference to Jean Shephard and the hands down greatest Christmas movie of all time - A Christmas Story (my twisted opinion)

RT
Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 PM

great story, and great new avatar. OK!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ha! Had a great laugh. Thanks for the pics.

We had a tornado just south of here a couple of days ago.... an unheard of event for WA. That would have made my canopy fly like a kite!

-
Old 01-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Master Builder

Been there. I feel ya.

dusty
Old 01-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ha! I just wanted to say the same thing :

Been there, done that. (On another project)
Didn't take any pics though...

Good save though!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK. I think I am the only one to get away with tent security. Now we know that for the low temps, do not trust those little stakes they supply. I saw those when my tent came, and I just about died. I figured what you guys and gals went through, that I did not want it. That is why I used the inside horizontal frame at the corners to rope down to cinder blocks. And with the big winds we had a week ago, I decided to double the support, this time on the outside tied down to the extra cinder blocks and vertical support. Trust me, winter is not over, try this and you should be VERY happy. Must say that I am quite displeased with the zippers, crappy ones at best. May get assistance with a good break in weather and have them redone with better zippers. Jim, now I know your progress, looks very nice!

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
Must say that I am quite displeased with the zippers, crappy ones at best. May get assistance with a good break in weather and have them redone with better zippers. Jim, now I know your progress, looks very nice!

Yeah as you can see from my first photo, my front zipper fell victim to an earlier ice storm (held together with clamps in pic) the good news is that ez-up has now replaced the entire front panel, they have a great guarantee attached to their product.

Jim
Old 01-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Serf

I enjoyed your whole story of taking plunge into air via tent along with the exclusive display of pictures here. Thanks for sharing these fantastic photos with us. It is really an amazing story. which branded tent and its clamps are used by you. it is really great experience on your side.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 AM

Welcome to FB. What are your links? They look like google ad fishing sites to me.

Also, I thought first posters couldn't post links.