Old 08-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Sharing my progress...

I posted a link on the Pompeii thread, but it was to a specific pic.

I'm currently preparing to dry stack, quickwall (and a little rebar and concrete) my base before pouring the actual hearth. Progress is in this yahoo album.

Dome work hopefully starts in 2 weeks.

Regards,

Tarik
Old 08-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Laborer

Cool. Now I don't feel so bad about the work I had to do for my oven patio. Yours makes mine look like a walk in the park.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelCorn76
Cool. Now I don't feel so bad about the work I had to do for my oven patio. Yours makes mine look like a walk in the park.

It IS a bit of a project, isn't it? I haven't even really gotten started on the house!

Tarik
Old 08-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Journeyman

Default Is Tarik's oven to be part of a house?

Dear Tarik,

I went to your: yahoo album.[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MARCEL/LOCALS%7E1/TEMP/moz-screenshot-42.jpg[/img]

I copied your photo, below, to MyDocuments and then tried to paste it here but when I clicked on Insert Image, I was referred to Please Enter the URL of Your Image

Well, it is really the URL of Tarik's image which I wanted to ask about.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aikita...38.jpg&.src=ph

Next I went to Additional Options and chose Attach Files. I went to MyDocuments and selected the Image in question. I don't see it here yet but I suspect it will show up after I Submit Reply.

Now to the questions: What kind of blocks are those large beige ones? ___

Is the elaborate foundation being constructed only to provide retaining walls or is it a part of a home? ____

I am curious as to in what state your oven will be located? ___

If the oven proper will involve the kind of care you've already demonstrated, it should be Super! Thanks for sharing and thanks for letting me borrow your literal image.

Marcel
Attached Thumbnails
Sharing my progress...-tariksfoundationblocks.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Journeyman

Default Is Tarik's oven to be part of a house?

Dear Tarik,

I went to your: yahoo album.[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MARCEL/LOCALS%7E1/TEMP/moz-screenshot-42.jpg[/img]

I copied your photo, below, to MyDocuments and then tried to paste it here but when I clicked on Insert Image, I was referred to Please Enter the URL of Your Image

Well, it is really the URL of Tarik's image which I wanted to ask about.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aikita...38.jpg&.src=ph

Next I went to Additional Options and chose Attach Files. I went to MyDocuments and selected the Image in question. I don't see it here yet but I suspect it will show up after I Submit Reply.

Is the elaborate foundation being constructed only to provide retaining walls or is it a part of a home? ____

If the oven proper will involve the kind of care you've already demonstrated, it should be Super! Thanks for sharing and thanks for letting me borrow your literal image.

Marcel
Old 08-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Apprentice

Marcel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel
They are tan versabloks. I actually used them for a stairway/retaining wall to the right [out] of the picture and small free standing wall (18 inch high) in front of the tree in the picture.

Quote:
Retaining walls. The idea was to create a large retaining wall to give us some level yard space and divert the water down towards the stream. You are looking into my back yard from the back door/porch. There's a 4 inch pipe behind the wall and under the foundation where the oven will soon sit.

We got 72 inches of rain here last winter and really felt the need to stop rivers from running into the house.The prior owners used to allow the hillside to stream water against and under the house.

Quote:

Thanks for the compliments! It will be in California.

This weekend I worked on the blocks to support the front third of the hearth (mainly the oven throat area and a 12 inch shelf) and also built a 12' long block planter bed in front of the wall to the far left.

The area to the immediate left of the oven will be a BBQ/smoker and sink prep area and we're thinking about building an island bar to separate the spaces for our guests.

I'll post more pics as we get further along.

Tarik
Old 09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Apprentice

Default More pics...

New ones from 22 on.

Yahoo album photos

Here's a few tidbits...

The night before I started on the oven floor, my wife and I lay down and watched thed stars on the hearth bed and experienced a 3.1 earthquake that was epicentered only 5 miles away!

It was an amazing and different experience to feel an earthquake while lying down right on concrete (we had blankets as well). I felt the 7.1 in 1989, but I was on my feet at the time.

Tarik
Attached Thumbnails
Sharing my progress...-pizza-oven-023-small-.jpg   Sharing my progress...-pizza-oven-026-small-.jpg   Sharing my progress...-pizza-oven-028-small-.jpg   Sharing my progress...-pizza-oven-031-small-.jpg   Sharing my progress...-pizza-oven-033-small-.jpg  

Old 09-23-2005, 07:32 AM
Journeyman

Question Will Tarik cover his igloo with a "Gable House"? Door Incl.?

(M) Great photos, Tarik, confirm my opinion of your work as that of a true craftsman-like builder!

================================================== =====

(M) The most important first decision I had to make was whether I would enclose my Pompeii "igloo" with "house" walls made of cement board. I feel that this is so important an early decision that I am also going to post this message on the "Newbie Forum".

(M) The reason this 1st decision is so important is that when I decided to enclose my igloo (permitting me to add lots of perlite insulation under the roof) I realized that it would be a waste of time to do fine finish detail work that would ultimately be hidden. Paul and Robert are just two builders that opted for elegant detail. Robert with his mosaic, and Paul with his arched brick throat entry.

(M) My recommendation to any Newbie is to make that 1st decision before you do any work! I struggled trying to reconcile different photos and directions until I realized that there is a fundamental structural process to be considered which is based on that 1st choice.

================================================== =====

(M) Tarik, I'm curious which of those 2 ways you will go? ____ If you are going to build an enclosure to help retain the heat, I would like to follow your progress very closely. I am almost exactly where you are now and I could use guidance in the design and formation of the throat to the igloo.

(M) I suspect that a closing door to the Hearth fire might be an excellent idea as many builders find themselves using a lot of firewood. A door would help heat retention when baking bread after cooking pizza.

(M) I am considering extending the 2nd bricks from the fireside entrance about 1/2" further apart. This would leave me a masonry door stop. Does anyone see a potential problem with that idea? ____ Does anyone understand what in H. I'm trying to express?

Ciao,

Marcel
Old 09-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Laborer

Marcel,

With regards to the door...that is what I did, I left about 3/4" as a stop for a door that I made using salvaged 2x4 mahogany. I'll try to attach a photo of my door opening. It seems to work very well for me. good luck. Pizza is just around the corner.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Sharing my progress...-mvc-009f.jpg   Sharing my progress...-mvc-008f.jpg  
Old 09-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Great photos, Tarik, confirm my opinion of your work as that of a true craftsman-like builder!
You are too flattering, Marcel. I can see many flaws in my work.

Quote:
Tarik, I'm curious which of those 2 ways you will go? ____ If you are going to build an enclosure to help retain the heat, I would like to follow your progress very closely. I am almost exactly where you are now and I could use guidance in the design and formation of the throat to the igloo.
I plan to enclose the oven in a gabled house, very similar to Jim's design. My wife insists on a smoking dragon sitting perched on the gabled roof. Ironically, she and I both thought of that idea long before we found Jim's example.

I also plan on an arched entry way simply because I find it more interesting. We'll see as I actually build it. There are examples of my arch forms in the Yahoo group.

As you suggest, I plan on widening the arch perhaps 3/4 of an inch so that I have a stop for installing a door. I'm current investigating what it will cost for me to have iron doors fabricated, and another avenue I've considered is a wooden door with firebrick on the inside face.

The problem with installing a door is that you do have to leave enough room for airflow or you cannot use it with the fire in place (works great for after however, to help retain heat). I plan on following some of the ideas I remember from my childhood in the Middle East, when I was daily picking up fresh bread at the bakery.

BTW, looking at this, I believe that my dome form idea is too flat. Any comments? This is the 42 inch diameter oven, with the high dome (21 inches). The smaller arch is the planned doorway.

Regards,

Tarik
Attached Thumbnails
Sharing my progress...-pizza-oven-034-small-.jpg   Sharing my progress...-pizza-oven-035-small-.jpg