Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 26
Default Rocket Stove Brick Oven

I'm going to do some sort of traditional clay brick oven fired by a rocket stove or based on a rocket stove design. It is all a learning process right now. The first step was building a rocket stove and learning about how the stove functions and the heating of clay bricks.





Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Greenman's Avatar
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bundaberg. Australia
Posts: 742
Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Hey DB - Welcome. I will watch your progress with interest. Nothing like a mystery and mysterious things happen when you build brick things and make a fire in them. Once you settle on a concept I am sure that there will be advice aplenty to help you out.
__________________
Cheers ......... Steve
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Forno Food Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Posts: 31
Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

I have barely finished my first oven but have already been thinking about how to incorporate a rocket stove into my next oven.

From my very little understanding about both pizza ovens and rockets stoves, they could definitely be incorporated with some modification to each.

When cooking pizza you need conductive, radiant and direct heat. The top of the horizontal tube of the rocket stove could also be you oven floor which will give you the conductive heat. The vertical tube of the rocket stove could open up into the very back of your oven, sending heat up the back of the dome just like a regular fire, heating the top of the dome to give you your radiant heat. I guess when the fire is going this will also provide some flames and thus the direct heat.

The last bit is the bit that has me stuck. The only other thing I thought of is to incorporate a modification to the back wall of the oven, above the slot coming in from the rocket stove. Perhaps part of the opening could let flames run up the inside of the dome. Another part could have a more heat reflective surface on more of an angle to "shoot" the heat straight at the food.

I have tried to represent this in the very amateurish drawing attached.

The other way could be to split the vertical tube of the rocket stove into 2. The back section could shoot heat up the dome and the front section could bounce of the reflective surface, directly at the food. This way you could incorporate some sort of diverter so you can alter the flow up the dome or off the reflective surface. That way you can shut off the direct heat and use conductive and radiant like in other cooking in the wood fired oven. The other way would be to let the fire die down, of course.

I've added this for brain storming as I have no authority on either rocket stove or pizza ovens. I had just been thinking about it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Rocket Stove Brick Oven-rocket-mass-pizza-oven.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Tscarborough's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ausitn
Posts: 3,076
Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Building an oven isn't rocket science, though I applaud you for for the effort. It is all about the BTUs, and I doubt you can get enough into the cooking shell to make a Neapolitan pizza with a rocket oven. Please keep trying, though.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 PM
brickie in oz's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Whittlesea
Posts: 3,455
Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Yeah what TS said, you wont get enough heat in the oven but itll be interesting to watch the build...
__________________
The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 AM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 32
Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Seems like you are using the same principles of a Scotch oven but it would need a large Rocket Stove, as the Scotch ovens that I have seen burn wood about 3 to 4 foot long and about 3 to 4'' across

WD
Attached Thumbnails
Rocket Stove Brick Oven-llynon-bakery-oven_l.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas river valley
Posts: 137
Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

I think it is possible to make a oven with rocket stove tech., but, it won't be a pizza oven as are on the site here. Since what you propose is basicly a blow torch aimed at a mass, you will have to deal with absorbtion rates of your oven material. So, you would have to burn for a certain amount of time to get a mass a certain temp.Little mass, little residual heat,more mass, more time.So,you would have to keep burning to keep up temps,defeating the small amount of fuel that these stoves are known for, and there are no coals in the oven. That being said, Put a Weber kettle on top of that thing and line it with volcanic rock, fire brick and a pizza stone on the grill. It should give you a starting point for experimentation. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 26
Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybits View Post
I have barely finished my first oven but have already been thinking about how to incorporate a rocket stove into my next oven.

From my very little understanding about both pizza ovens and rockets stoves, they could definitely be incorporated with some modification to each.

When cooking pizza you need conductive, radiant and direct heat. The top of the horizontal tube of the rocket stove could also be you oven floor which will give you the conductive heat. The vertical tube of the rocket stove could open up into the very back of your oven, sending heat up the back of the dome just like a regular fire, heating the top of the dome to give you your radiant heat. I guess when the fire is going this will also provide some flames and thus the direct heat.

The last bit is the bit that has me stuck. The only other thing I thought of is to incorporate a modification to the back wall of the oven, above the slot coming in from the rocket stove. Perhaps part of the opening could let flames run up the inside of the dome. Another part could have a more heat reflective surface on more of an angle to "shoot" the heat straight at the food.

I have tried to represent this in the very amateurish drawing attached.

The other way could be to split the vertical tube of the rocket stove into 2. The back section could shoot heat up the dome and the front section could bounce of the reflective surface, directly at the food. This way you could incorporate some sort of diverter so you can alter the flow up the dome or off the reflective surface. That way you can shut off the direct heat and use conductive and radiant like in other cooking in the wood fired oven. The other way would be to let the fire die down, of course.

I've added this for brain storming as I have no authority on either rocket stove or pizza ovens. I had just been thinking about it too.
I've looked at so many designs of traditional ovens that I believe a rocket stove design can be incorporated. The bricks were still warm a couple hours after the fire went out so I am encouraged about creating an oven.

You will have to keep me updated on your thoughts about designs. I am interested to see what you come up with. And if you haven't already, please post pictures of your oven.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 26
Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duck View Post
Seems like you are using the same principles of a Scotch oven but it would need a large Rocket Stove, as the Scotch ovens that I have seen burn wood about 3 to 4 foot long and about 3 to 4'' across

WD
I have learned something new with this post. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Peasant
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 26
Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickstrings View Post
I think it is possible to make a oven with rocket stove tech., but, it won't be a pizza oven as are on the site here. Since what you propose is basicly a blow torch aimed at a mass, you will have to deal with absorbtion rates of your oven material. So, you would have to burn for a certain amount of time to get a mass a certain temp.Little mass, little residual heat,more mass, more time.So,you would have to keep burning to keep up temps,defeating the small amount of fuel that these stoves are known for, and there are no coals in the oven. That being said, Put a Weber kettle on top of that thing and line it with volcanic rock, fire brick and a pizza stone on the grill. It should give you a starting point for experimentation. Good Luck!
I have seen that done on youtube but with a large grill.

I will keep trying. I have always loved the traditional brick ovens.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Mobile Brick Oven Wood Fired Brick Oven Bob Commercial Pizza Ovens 21 12-28-2012 03:56 PM
Rocket stove pizza oven build Hendrikwal Other Locations 0 12-25-2012 03:58 AM
Simon's 36" LA brick oven calipizzanapoletana Pompeii Oven Construction 35 08-30-2012 09:39 AM
Building a Mobile Brick Oven abculatter_2 Getting Started 7 07-21-2012 10:13 AM
Why we did the Pompeii Oven james Introductions 0 03-21-2005 03:48 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC