Old 06-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Apprentice

Default Remodel of unfinished oven in Bellevue

I spent the better part of May waiting for parts to complete my WFO roof structure. I also had several very successful pizza parties but grew unhappy direction the project was going. At the advice of good friends and family I decided to remodel and put on an igloo shell with stone front. Not a lot money was lost as the steel studs and fastener were surplus from a job site and given to me free of charge. (Thanks Dave) There is a new builder on the forum that may have a uses for them.

After the tear down I used 4 lengths of steel rod to create the outline of the shell and filled in the rest of the frame with 10 gauge aluminum, then weaved on some chicken wire with 24 gauge craft wire. Ive spent the last few night filling it in with perlite concrete. On the front I added two columns of bricks with rebar and built a steel frame to bridge the opening a tie it all together structurally. I will add an upper arch and cover the outside with some decretive stone. I'm very happy with my decision to make the changes.

I have a friend laser cutting some 14ga SS doors, one for preheating and another for double walled insulated baking door.
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Remodel of unfinished oven in Bellevue-remodel-begins.jpg   Remodel of unfinished oven in Bellevue-igloo-shell-frame.jpg   Remodel of unfinished oven in Bellevue-opening-frame-dry-fit.jpg   Remodel of unfinished oven in Bellevue-opening-frame-set.jpg  
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Remodel of unfinished oven in Bellevue

JR,

Love the setup you have back there. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I think you inspired me to put a bench in by my oven.

Can't wait to see the doors!

-papavino
Old 06-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Apprentice

John, As before, great workmanship. I look forward to seeing how the doors work out.
Bill

Oven Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Progress pictures:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cooking pictures:

Old 06-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Bill,
I received 3/16" SS door parts this week. Unfortunately it was not 14 gauge but my friend will re-cut them when he has an opportunity. I temporally fabricated a handle and legs for the 3/16" door (15lbs.) I welcome the chance to now cook with a door. see pic.

I have also been looking for handles and hi temp gauges. Here is a place I found both. BBQ TEMPERATURE GAUGE BARBECUE GRILL SMOKER THERMOMETER

I finished the perlite/concrete insulation layer this week and will stucco tomorrow.

I just got back from getting pizza ingredients for tonight

Cheers,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Remodel of unfinished oven in Bellevue-first-door.jpg  
Old 06-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Apprentice

John, the door looks great.

I may have just missed you as I was at PFI for flour and tomatoes this morning right after a stop at Pacific Industrial Supply for SS scraps.

Somewhere I had read that there were spring handles at Harbor Frieght in the welding section. Haven't yet looked.

Enjoy the meal tonight!
Bill

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures: