Old 09-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Laborer

Default reducing and freezing tomatoes

For the last few years we have been growing the fabulous heritage tomato 'Sicilian Saucer'', as the name suggests it's as big as a saucer .. regularly over 1 lb! It's a beefsteak /paste , a bit lumpy and with enclosures of pith , but the taste! . You need a 7ft stake of hefty dimensions to hold them and even in the short summer of the Ottawa Valley in Canada they are are bomb proof .
The day after I bake bread , when the oven is about f.275 I put a 16X20 inch pan of cut up SS in the oven for 10-12 hrs .. they reduce down to 1/3 their size and never having boiled retain all of their flavour .. I put them in a bag , give them a bang to knock out the air and freeze.. when you want sauce Just cut a chunk off , throw it in a pan and instant sauce .. I mean instant .. of course you can chop off slivers of the frozen tomato , put it on a pizza crust and ..mmmmmmm!! you are done
Attached Thumbnails
reducing and freezing tomatoes-sicilian-saucers-9am.jpg   reducing and freezing tomatoes-sicilian-saucers-9pm.jpg   reducing and freezing tomatoes-sicilian-saucers-10pm.jpg  
Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Laborer

Default Re: reducing and freezing tomatoes

Yum - those look like "cuore di bue" tomatoes (at least, what I would call them )

I presume they are they quite dry and meaty (with few seeds) compared to the san marzano tomatoes?

M.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Laborer

They are meaty ,but not dry , one slice covers a large piece of bread ,, not too seedy , in my garden they ripen about 2 weeks ahead of the san marzanos. I have to cut them up quite a bit to reduce them . I get them from Wm. Damm Seeds Dundas Ont. but as a heritage tomato they may be avail. elsewhere too .. I havn't looked .
Bon apetit.
tim
Old 09-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Laborer

I just googled ''sicilian saucer seeds'' they are all over .. some filed under GIANT vegetables .. they can get county fair sized!
tim

Tags
reducing tomatoes, sicilian saucer, tomato