Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Primavera Oven photo

Here is the first photo of the prototype for the Primavera Oven (on a cold, foggy evening). You can see it isn't quite finished around the landing, but I wanted to share it.

It cooks great, and I think it's cute. More to come on the oven, but at least everyone can see what it looks like. We are painting it a Tuscan giallo (yellow) with a brown glaze later this week.

It has a 24" cooking floor.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Primavera Oven photo-img_1163.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Primavera Oven photo

James
You're right ..its cute. You must be making an oven for people who are afraid of ovens. It reminds me of those "toy" dogs women carry in their purses. Looks like a dog...but...

Just yanking your chain. How much does it mass ? Are you considering adding wheels so you can roll it into your garage beside the BBQ during the winter ??
Old 08-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Ahhhh. It's a real oven. :-) That little guy was steaming along at 800F+ last night. Hah, the little oven that could.

It weights about 350lbs, and three guys could set it on the stand. I'm a little nervous about wheels -- both because it's top heavy and because the weight of a stand that can take the oven with be pretty heavy.

Maybe we could offer a more stout stand as an option.

James

Old 08-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Apprentice

Quanta costa?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Around, but less than, $2,000. We are shooting for a wide audience.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 PM

If you had splayed legs you could do wheels. Having a "wide stance" would give it stability even though most of the weight's on top. More room for wood too.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

We'll take a look at that. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Peasant

Is the primavera structurally different when compared to the Pompeii?
What is the thickness of the hearth slab?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and for now, I think we are going to have to hold back some of the specifics of the Primavera design. I'm thinking of it as a competitive advantage.

Here are things I am happy saying:

It is structurally the same as a Pompeii Oven (or a FB Casa oven), in that it is a pre-cast dome. It's made of very serious refractory material, without a hint of Portland cement, sand or gravel -- pure refractory binders and aggregates rated to about 2000F. It doesn't even have recycled firebricks as the aggregate. Instead the aggregate composition and size is all controlled.

It's round and it has a vent and landing area in front. It has a vent and chimney.

The floor is fired and compressed firebrick slabs, with only a few seams.

The dome wraps around the cooking floor (which is good), the way the FB Casa or Artigiano are designed.

The dome insulation is FB Blanket and the floor insulation is FB Board. Long after the dome has reached 900F, the Igloo exterior is about 100F -- barely warm. These insulators really work. :-)

The exterior is waterproofed and painted.

We've finalized the paint design and I'm working on a new photo. Pretty cool. I hope this is helpful.

James
RetAFCE likes this.

Last edited by james; 08-26-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Here is a better, though not quite final, photo of the FB Primavera. We've finished the paint and glaze, and now I am waiting for my inner photographer to come through.

The oven is cooking and looking great.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Primavera Oven photo-primavera.jpg