Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Laborer

Default Photos of Thermal Break

I've gotten to the stage where I need to decide if I should put a thermal break in the entry/floor to my oven...

Ideas and thoughts on the back of a picture would be greatly appreciated!

M.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Photos of Thermal Break

It's not hard to do on the floor. A small gap filled with insulating firebrick, these are available at a ceramics supply or even a break in the firebrick will minimize the heat flow. Here is what I did.

The "L" shaped block is rigid insulation and is held a bit lower than the entry grainite and the oven floor bricks and is filled in by a thin layer of ash. This low gap helps avoid the soft rigid insulation from being abraded by firewood, and cast iron casseroles and cleaning the oven of ash.

There are other materials to choose from, I used what I had at hand and selected the grainite for easy cleanup and to match the exterior work surfaces.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Photos of Thermal Break-thermal-break-408x206-.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

here is how I did mine. Ran this shape all the way across the inside edge of the flue arch so that there was a gap between the two. Then I stuffed the backside with CF rope, and the front side with CF caulk

Seems to work well. I should not have cut those bricks so thin though. I corrected that on all the other courses.
Attached Thumbnails
Photos of Thermal Break-wp_000035-2-.jpg   Photos of Thermal Break-wp_000034-2-.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Laborer

Interesting, thanks!

I just ordered a batch of "grade 23" insulating bricks; serviceable to 1300C.

I was thinking of just making the arch holding up the chimney out of these - but am concerned about how they hold up to abrasion (especially on the floor!)

I must ask - what is CF caulk, and where did you find it?!

M.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got the caulk at NWironworks.com. they can be a bit slow with the delivery, but it was the only place I found it

Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The insulating bricks are not going to hold up to any wear and tear. We use to cut them with a hand saw when building a kiln. I meant to relate that you could replace the Insulating board with insulating firebrick and as long as it's out of contact with firewood or cookware or cleanup tools it should be good for a long time.. As a chimney, I can't comment on how long these might hold up.

Sorry if I wasn't clear..

Chris