Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Les
  • 1 Post By UtahBeehiver
  • 1 Post By Gulf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Apprentice

Default Oven cleared for 1st time last night

woohoo, been firing for around a week, low and slow, left it for a few days and put a big one on last night. was amazed to see the dome clearing. was measuring well over 400C on the oven floor, and only got up to low twenties on top of the dome insulation It was still 70to80C this morning despite single digit temperatures and howling winds last night Havent actually cooked anything yet Still working on the deck for the cast in situ concrete counter. Hope to get that done next week. Also, lost the lense form the front of my GM550 IR thermometer that I bought on amazon a week or to ago....damn!! suppose it only cost me <20 !!!
My wife ordered me a pizza peel online last night, cant wait to get some pizza on!
btw, why does the dome actually clear?? will it now stay clear for good?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven cleared for 1st time last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
will it now stay clear for good?
Nope - next time you fire it up it will be covered in soot again. It is pretty cool to watch it burn clean. I think I drank a bottle of wine just sitting there and watching it the first time.
GianniFocaccia and Gulf like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Now that sounds like a great idea...........

Better than whats on TV presently and much more entertaining.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
btw, why does the dome actually clear??
Because the high temperatures of the brick cause the particulate matter ( soot ) to burn off.

Congrats on the clearing fire, you are on your way now.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I do not know if I imagine things but I seem to smell a unique smell as the soot on the dome begins to burn off. Anyway congrats on the dome clear. If you firing the oven, cook something......
Gulf likes this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 11-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
I do not know if I imagine things but I seem to smell a unique smell as the soot on the dome begins to burn off. Anyway congrats on the dome clear. If you firing the oven, cook something......
The smell of wood burning at low temps reminds many of us of home, christmas and all thing nice . The "first" time that we smell a dome clearing fire, it will bring on an oh sh:t, wtf "alarm" in most of us .
Les likes this.