Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Serf

Talking Oven almost done - A Few Picx

Can't claim to have made it, but can't wait to use it!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Oven almost done - A Few Picx-oven3.jpg   Oven almost done - A Few Picx-photo.jpg  
Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Oven almost done - A Few Picx

Very nice looking. Way to go "team". :-)
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Very nice looking. Way to go "team". :-)
James
I agree
Very nice!

dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks Great! Please keep us updated once you start using it!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Journeyman

I like the look, wish I was at your stage! On the lower right is that a smoker or wood storage?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Serf

Thanks Guys...

RC, it's a smoker up against the oven. Same basic concept. Lot's of "mass" in the smoker to minimize the amount of fuel (wood) needed and use the retained heat in the bricks to slowly smoke the meat.....

James, you're correct about "team". Keith did a great job and is a good ambassador for Forno Bravo.

Mark
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Journeyman

I get the impression you had a FB WFO installed, did you have the smoker installed as well. I would like to learn additional information regarding the smoker, such as heat source, mass etc. I started on the WFO odyssey because I wanted to put up a stone enclosed smoker. That's before I became obsessed with the pizza oven.
As you can see I've made the pad with wings for the future. Now it's probably will be surface prepartion area and open in the back for wood storage.
By the way Central Texas, is that the Hill country area?
Attached Thumbnails
Oven almost done - A Few Picx-050.jpg  
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
I get the impression you had a FB WFO installed, did you have the smoker installed as well. I would like to learn additional information regarding the smoker, such as heat source, mass etc. I started on the WFO odyssey because I wanted to put up a stone enclosed smoker. That's before I became obsessed with the pizza oven.
As you can see I've made the pad with wings for the future. Now it's probably will be surface prepartion area and open in the back for wood storage.
By the way Central Texas, is that the Hill country area?
Hey RC,

Your oven will make an excellent smoker. I've been doing briskets. They get better each time! The first few times, the oven was too hot. But last night I nailed one.

First of all, I cooked pizza Sunday night. So oven temps... 900-1000 or so.
I left the coals in the oven and put the door on around 8 pm after pizzas were done.

Last night(Monday) The oven was about 285f. I put a spice rub on my brisket and set it in a pan with a raised rack. Then I went outside, opened the oven, and threw a handful of hickory chips in. (there were still glowing embers, which I tried to get the chips on) Then I put my brisket and pan in the oven and closed the door. This was about 730pm. An hour later I threw in another handful of wood chips and shut the door. At bed time.. 10:00-10:30,........... I took the brisket out and wrapped it in aluminum foil. I put it back in, shut the door, and went to bed. Oven temp was still holding about 285f.

This morning(Tuesday) I woke up to a juicy smoked brisket. It was almost too tender to cut without falling apart. And actually could be pulled quite easily for sandwiches. The oven was about 235f this morning.

Anyways, your oven can perform many duties. It is wonderful as a smoker, provided you heat it up at least a day ahead of time...... that allows your oven to cook at lower temps and to really even out the heat.

I hope you try yours out sometime. Smoked meats make good use of all the retained heat.

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Journeyman

Dave
You're saying that not the next day after pizzas but the following you did your brisket! Your oven is really retaining heat and if I remember correctly you did vermiculite as insulation on the dome.
Like I've said - this is an obsession - can't wait to start cooking. By the way I have in the freezer a brisket, ribs, a couple of turkeys, roaster chickens and roast ready for when the day comes
Old 01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

RC, the day after pizza he did the brisket, not 2 days later.

Acoma's Tuscan: