Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Laborer

Default New Build in the UK

So following on from my introduction thread, this is my new build. I had made an oven before (and failed miserably) as a 12 year old - but it ended up a (very large) cube of clay bricks and steel angle-irons with no airflow and wouldn't light without petrol.

So here's my first "educated" attempt...

Breaking ground & Digging the pit for the foundation
Breaking Ground - Worf Helps Out! - YouTube">Breaking Ground - Worf Helps Out! - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
(not sure if there's an embedded player supported here for youtube - so here's the link: Breaking Ground - Worf Helps Out! - YouTube)

Laying the foundation breeze blocks and hardcore/rubble

The outer wall is now halfway up - and I'm starting to make the shapes for the arches out of foam board...
Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Laborer

Default Re: New Build in the UK

Can't post more than 5 pics at a time... so here's another post!

Arch then goes up (still needs grouting... didn't feel confident doing the mortaring and grouting in one step!)

Detail of the rebar inside the bricks - this specific one is the bricks that stick out of the wall to support the arch:

Other angle on the arch - not perfect, but it is my first arch ever after all!

Last edited by Spinal; 07-30-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Laborer

Finally (for today); detail of the rebar on the inside (set in mortar to get the height right). These will form the core of 4 (maybe 6) pillars that will add strength to the structure. concrete will be poured in once the walls are at the right height, so the concrete bonds to the bricks on 2 sides and the floor/foundation/concrete slab on the bottom.

Note that as this is the inside surface of the "under-oven" area; it's not cleaned out and the mortar is just left as is in the joints. Does it add strength? No idea... but it certainly doesn't take any away - so it's there
Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did the same with my concrete block base, who cares, nobody see it , spend your time and skill where is visible...................like what you are doing.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
Can't post more than 5 pics at a time... so here's another post!

Arch then goes up (still needs grouting... didn't feel confident doing the mortaring and grouting in one step!)

Detail of the rebar inside the bricks - this specific one is the bricks that stick out of the wall to support the arch:

Other angle on the arch - not perfect, but it is my first arch ever after all!
Looking good!

I wasn't confident about building an arch straight on, so I built both of mine round a wood former, on a frame. You always have this option if yours doesn't go to plan.

This is my inner arch under construction.
Attached Thumbnails
New Build in the UK-p22.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 AM
Laborer

Realised I haven't posted an update for a while!

Right, so the concrete floor went in before I went on holiday. Took the chance to dunk both my other half and my dog in, so I have hand/paw prints in the concrete... (and had a friend come over to water the concrete when it didn't rain).

Got back last week, and over the weekend I started building the support to pour the concrete slab.

The base is now done (using about 15 wooden supports underneath - strong enough to support 2 people jumping on top ) - but the sides are temporary.

I still need to re-inforce the sides so that when the concrete is poured they don't end up bulging. Hoping to do that this week during the week, so I can pour over the weekend.

Picture attached.

M.
Attached Thumbnails
New Build in the UK-update.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Those pissy little lathes wont hold, they will bulge with the side load of concrete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Those pissy little lathes wont hold, they will bulge with the side load of concrete.
See previous message...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
The base is now done (using about 15 wooden supports underneath - strong enough to support 2 people jumping on top ) - but the sides are temporary.

I still need to re-inforce the sides so that when the concrete is poured they don't end up bulging. Hoping to do that this week during the week, so I can pour over the weekend.

Picture attached.

M.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

M,

I did not think WFOs ever got Holidays, at least that is what the better half tells me. Going to watch your build with interest. LIke your brick base. Afraid my "finish" mason skills are lacking but I can fill the gap with mortar with the best of em....
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Laborer

Two of the pics aren't showing up... thought I would upload them here in case the image host dies...

Still not decided on how to do the top... part of me wants to make it out of bricks, part out of board... and another just wants to make a dome!

M.
Attached Thumbnails
New Build in the UK-img_2243.jpg   New Build in the UK-img_2244.jpg   New Build in the UK-img_2245.jpg