Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Peasant

Default Midsummer Madness

Spring has sprung into Summer, and with the oven finished what better way to celebrate Midsummer Day than to fire the oven white. As I have said before I don't make plans. Well I did for Saturday and of course it rained, all day. It did turn to drizzle in the afternoon so I lit the fire. It was a big one and the dome went white very quick. All we needed now were the guests. Nigel was making the dough so if he did not make it it would have been tomato soup all round.
I am the one in the apron, I was not allowed to touch the dough, just cook it. The first one stuck to the peel and came out the shape of Norway.
Things got better but the ladies stopped inside in the dry and had a good laugh. My wife took the pictures and seems to have missed Rob the other guest, he was in charge of the beer. I am not sure how many pizzas we cooked but by the end they slid off the peel like I knew what I was doing.
We put a shoulder of lamb in, bricked up the opening (not made a door yet) and went off to the pubs. Should have been two, but it was four hours later when we took it out. Fresh potatoes and veg straight out of the garden, lamb that just melted in your mouth and some good company made it a night to remember. The beer helped as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Midsummer Madness-p5200016.jpg   Midsummer Madness-100_0167.jpg   Midsummer Madness-100_0170.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never put off untill tomorrow what you can do today. If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Midsummer Madness

Beautiful setup!

Sounds like you guys had a great time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Apprentice

What a beautiful set up! Did you this all yourself? Good luck and enjoy!

Malinda

Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Complimenti.

Your space looks great -- perfect for entertaining on the long, long summer evenings. We're off to visit family in Gloucester in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking forward to BBQ'ing at 10PM.

Congratulations again,
James

Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Serf

Beautiful Oven. Well Done.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Laborer

That is just one awesome oven !!!

What have you used to cap the top of the dome..? and is that a reclaim chimney..?

We can start sending smoke signals across the Wolds now !!

Cheers

Peter
Old 06-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Excellent! I love the work space you have setup! Bricks make for a fine impromptu door.

Drake
Old 06-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Peasant

PeterW, the top of the dome is capped with a concrete paving slab (4.50, B&Q), that I cut with an angle grinder and then finished off by hand with a hammer and scutch chisel. I drilled some holes in the top for to help get rid of any water that is still to be steamed out. I got the chimney pot off Ebay from just outside Nottingham, the other side of the M1. See Spring has Sprung. It came up at just the right time. Let the smoke signals start.
Chef, Yes it's all my own work, (see Spring has Sprung) all done by hand with the help of a small, 30 year old cement mixer. It also was about the only help I had when I built the house.
James, If you have time when you are in Gloucester go to The Old Spot Inn, Dursley. Just off the M5, south of the city. It has just been voted Britains pub of the year. I go to Gloucestershire every year staying just outside of Dursley and after a hard days walking that pub is just about all you could wish for. It has a good range of British beers and the food is not bad either. I have visited a few pubs over the years and in my opinion you will not find one better.
Many thank everyone, Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Midsummer Madness-p5100001.jpg   Midsummer Madness-p5100002.jpg   Midsummer Madness-p5100003.jpg  

Never put off untill tomorrow what you can do today. If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafv View Post
James, If you have time when you are in Gloucester go to The Old Spot Inn, Dursley. Just off the M5, south of the city. It has just been voted Britains pub of the year. I go to Gloucestershire every year staying just outside of Dursley and after a hard days walking that pub is just about all you could wish for. It has a good range of British beers and the food is not bad either. I have visited a few pubs over the years and in my opinion you will not find one better.
Many thank everyone, Richard.
Thanks for that. We stay in Frampton on Severn (Britain's largest town green) -- my father-in-law is in a rest home (very nice) outside Stonehouse. We will definitely look up that one. You can't beat a good pub on a summer eve.
James