Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Serf

Default Michaels WFO build

Hi everyone. I live in Rotorua New Zealand.

I plan on building a 40" Tuscan oven with side benches to mount marble slab for prep and insert a gas hop for stir frying etc.

Below is my framed and lined foundation.

A question I have, is it possible for one person to pour a concrete slab this size without any complications? e.g. concrete going off. I have a mixer.

Cheers, Michael.
Attached Thumbnails
Michaels WFO build-wfo-foundation-form.jpg  

Last edited by Michael L Smith; 05-27-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach photo
Old 05-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Michaels WFO build

Michael,

That looks like a great start. It's a lot for one person to do all at once, but there is no reason you couldn't do it in stages. The finish quality is nill because you won't really see it. When I was doing my sidewalks using a mixer, I found that 3 batches was a pretty comfortable clip to pour, screed, and finish (around 24 square feet).

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Serf

Thanks Les. Are you saying I should pour 3 wheelbarrows of concrete then smooth out before pouring more. Or do I pour the whole lot (10 + wheelbarrows) then smooth out.

Thanks.

Last edited by Michael L Smith; 05-27-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 05-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Michael,

I would but in some dividers (something like this) and pour it in sections. You did a great job with the steel so there will be no structural issues. Why kill yourself pouring the slab, save that for the dome.
Attached Thumbnails
Michaels WFO build-mike.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Journeyman

Michael,
The weather will play a big part. If it isn't to hot you shouldn't have a problem. The mixer will help a lot. Just pour each section screed it off and you should be fine. The plastic you have underneath will also help it from going off to fast. As Les pointed out you really don't need a perfect finish for the base since it will all be covered. Have plenty of cold ones available and you'll be fine!

Mark
Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Serf

Well I've poured the foundation today. In the end I got a friend to come and help me. Looks good. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

I'm jumping way ahead here, but, one thing I'm worried about is coming up with a chimney solution here in New Zealand. I'm doing the traditional arched entry with about 4" wide by 12" long gap to fit manifold and chimney.
How do you manufacture a manifold/chimney for this "arched gap"?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael L Smith View Post
How do you manufacture a manifold/chimney for this "arched gap"?
Typically, people have used brick wedges to make a flat and square entry to the chimney, and you bolt on the chimney plate and cover it with insulation and render. Plenty of photos in the other build threads and in the Gallery.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:36 AM
Serf

Cheers Glenn.