Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Laborer

Default Larry’s Inferno

By reading all the posts and the vast wealth of knowledge on Forno Bravo I have formed a vision in my mind and on paper of what I would like to build in the way of a WFO. I really enjoy the fact no two ovens look the same and everyone adds a little of themselves to their build. I hope to be able to help someone with their oven build by documenting my journey one brick at a time. Please feel free to make any and all suggestions because the ideas in my head are not yet cast in stone.
Attached Thumbnails
Larry’s Inferno-site-pizza-oven1.jpg   Larry’s Inferno-metal-.jpg   Larry’s Inferno-cement-in1.jpg   Larry’s Inferno-old-chicago-brick1.jpg   Larry’s Inferno-mock-up-front.jpg  

Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Larry’s Inferno

Good luck and keep the pics coming.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 PM

If you're building up with brick from the bottom (which I think looks way better than a lot of other finishes) I used and recommend the Bricky brick laying jig. It makes bad bricklayers good and good bricklayers fast. Even the trowel that comes with the kit is a superior shape and feel from the ones that come from the hardware store.

You may need an inch on the inside of the wall to use the bricky: just lay up your blocks after that layer of brick is set.

Good looking bricks, by the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Laborer

Hi Dmun
As a mater of fact based on your recomendation and postings I'm using the bricky and it has proved to be a great tool. I brought it new off of Ebay for a little less than you can get it from their website. I also agree about the look of brick all the way up.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 PM

The page where I demonstrate the Bricky is here (dmun's 36" geodesic oven).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Laborer

I was able to make some more progress on my oven this past weekend. The Arch took some time and I and I had to let the mortar setup a bit before I could put another brick into place. Fitting in the bricks around the arch will probably take even longer. I anticipate a lot of measuring and cutting.
Attached Thumbnails
Larry’s Inferno-laying-out-arch.jpg   Larry’s Inferno-arch-form2.jpg   Larry’s Inferno-arch-complete.jpg   Larry’s Inferno-arch-2.jpg  
tibort likes this.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Apprentice

That's a lovely arch!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:47 AM
Apprentice

Aye, the arch looks great! And I really love the brick you got. I am looking for something very similar. Really nice work

Travis
Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Laborer

Thank You. Yes the brick really makes a difference. It took me awhile but I was lucky and found someone that was redoing their patio and was just looking to get rid of them. He gave me a price less than new brick would have cost. It does take a little more time because I have to pressure clean them first. It's definitely worth the extra work. The local yards sell the old Chicago brick but it was way too expensive for me. I should have enough for the entire exterior of the oven. To be on the safe side I'm concentrating on the front and the visible sides first and if I run out, of the old brick, I will use new brick in the back.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Laborer

I was hoping to get more done over the Holidays but something always seem to interrupt my brick laying. Most of the time it was rain. Hopefully later this week I will be able to get the wood forms in place for the second pour. Happy New Year to all!

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Larry’s Inferno-2008-12-29-front.jpg