Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Apprentice

Default Introducing the Vesuvio

Due to high demand for authentic hand-tiled ovens, Forno Bravo now offers the Vesuvio residential assembled oven, pictured here.

These beautiful ovens are available in 32", 36", 40" and 44" cooking surfaces, with or without a stand.

Please note that while the Vesuvio isnít on our website yet, we are accepting pre-orders: Contact 800-407-5119 or sales@fornobravo.com for pricing info and to move to the front of the orders line!
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing the Vesuvio-vesuvio90_stand.jpg   Introducing the Vesuvio-vesuvio90_frontwstand.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 04:07 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Introducing the Vesuvio

The chimney's location at the center of the dome contributes to the elegance of the oven . I think implementing that needs some sophisticated work, and maybe more insulation for the dome and the chimney as well.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:40 AM
Master Builder

I would be interested to see some more detail. Does the chimney emanate from the front of the oven or what? Surely it would not vent directly from the centre of the dome.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-07-2014, 05:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's a squirrel tail flue...similar to a Neapolitan vent.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-07-2014, 05:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can see the corner of the throat to the left if the vent in the first pic.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 06-07-2014, 05:10 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Stonecutter - It does look good. I like bricks and stone better than tiles but to each his own.

We are a bit short of squirrels in this part of the planet.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
It's a squirrel tail flue...similar to a Neapolitan vent.
Stonecutter,
Do you think there is insulation under the leaning part of the flu (I mean between the leaning part and the dome) or is the leaning part of the flu flush with the dome and both the dome and the leaning part of the flu are wrapped with one insulating blanket? The second sounds to degrade heat retention doesn't it?
I'm interested to know because I'm compelled to follow that technique for my indoor oven to hide the flue and make the enclosure elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
You can see the corner of the throat to the left if the vent in the first pic.
I looked up the pic many times. I can't see.

Last edited by v12spirit; 06-07-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12spirit View Post
Stonecutter,
Do you think there is insulation under the leaning part of the flu (I mean between the leaning part and the dome) or is the leaning part of the flu flush with the dome and both the dome and the leaning part of the flu are wrapped with one insulating blanket? The second sounds to degrade heat retention doesn't it?
I'm interested to know because I'm compelled to follow that technique for my indoor oven to hide the flue and make the enclosure elegant.

I looked up the pic many times. I can't see.
I can't say for sure, it's impossible to tell. Most Neapolitans builds I've seen have a type of flue... It looks like a chase..... over the dome, and connect that into a flue pipe without insulating the dome portion inside the chase. The squirrel tails I've built are made using clay flue, with angle cuts for the transitions over the dome. They were on historic beehive ovens, and there was no insulation between the flue and dome.

There isn't anything that difficult routing a flue over a dome, but with an inside oven, there are other factors that effect draw that should be considered....one is negative pressure.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 06-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Journeyman

Thanks for the details stonecutter. Interested to see some of the squirrel tails built by you if you have pictures.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12spirit View Post
Thanks for the details stonecutter. Interested to see some of the squirrel tails built by you if you have pictures.
Sorry, I don't...they were all done pre-digital camera days. I don't think I could have gotten a good pic anyway, I was always crawling inside dark, tight spaces on those ovens. If you tear into an early home too much, you wind up opening Pandora's Box a lot of the time.

I have at a few ovens in the planning stages, and one will have a squirrel tail flue. I'll document the process.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Tags
hand-tiled, residential oven, vesuvio