Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Apprentice

Default Huge Thanks!

I wanted to extend a heartfelt thank you to all of you who helped me through this build. I finished the oven a month ago but have been racing against the Iowa weather to finish one last project before winter set in so I haven't had a chance to post pictures until now.

Your advice and tips made it all possible, your dedication to answering newbie posts is so very appreciated; I couldn't have done it without you!

Here are the first two (plus one of the tiles), highlighting the finish on the dome. My daughter and I made these tile at the local ceramics center at the end of the summer. My intent was to push them into the wet stucco, but that proved to be impossible so we used a stucco slip and applied each one (nuts!) What do you know?! They stuck!
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Thanks!-tile.jpg   Huge Thanks!-tile2.jpg   Huge Thanks!-tilesbucket.jpg  
OzOvenBuilder and REE REE B like this.

Last edited by Xene; 11-13-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Huge Thanks!

Here are a few extra shots of the oven and surround. We had cleared the patio of furniture for winter storage so we could get a nice shot of the oven. The herb garden was my last rush project, it sits east of the oven and was previously made of dry-stack limestone. Next to the oven it looked pretty shabby, now it all goes together and the top is wide and sturdy for extra seating if needed.

Again, thank you all for your wonderful help! Your generosity helped me build a thing of beauty we will cherish always. Cheers and good health to you all!
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Thanks!-dsc_0920.jpg   Huge Thanks!-dsc_0926.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Master Builder

Hey, what happened to no wood under the oven? You have wood everywhere. Darn, the art work is beautiful, I wish that your chimney wasn't so big, so that more could show. Great Job.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Apprentice

Laurentius, you are right! I forgot we plan to put a door under the oven! My brother-in-law is the woodworker in charge of that...and we already have had to ask him for a second oven door (the first one burnt up overnight!) so that will wait until spring. It is nice to have all that wood covered, that is a plus with all those nooks!

Thanks on the tile finish, it is actually a lot more visually attractive in real life since you can get up close around the chimney.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Master Builder

Concerning door, tried wooden door, it became charcoal. Steel plate in front and back, ceramic fiber board in between. Have B-I-L, make a wooden facade. Great work again, well done. Wait to spring for the door, but cook all winter.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Master Builder

Beautiful oven. Wish i had those bricks.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice work and like the applique...........know what you mean about trying to beat the winter. I had 20" plus of snow last weekend on my wfo.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

WOW!
That oven is a true work of art. I really do love to see the results of what some one can do when they combine hard work and artistic creativity. Great! job Xene. I predict that your oven will inspire a whole new breed of pompeii finishes .

Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Apprentice

Its an absolute beauty! Very well done!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Apprentice

Breathtaking! I originally did not care for the igloo style when I was researching for my build. However, after building my own oven, I have fallen in love with the dome/igloo shape. The igloo style also helps to keep the size of the oven in scale with the rest of the architecture and offers so many opportunities for creative finish designs. Yours is one of the best I have ever seen. The only thing keeping me from finishing my oven with an igloo/stucco style finish is the harsh Michigan winter....apparently that has not stopped you in Utah. BRAVO!