Old 08-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Serf

Default Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2

Part 2 of Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-inside-top.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-insulation-5.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-vent.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-insulation-011.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-finish.jpg  

Last edited by Hope; 08-22-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Looks great!

Your oven looks great! Did you weld up your own funnel for the vent?

David
Old 08-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Serf

Thanks David! I had a welder make the vent for me locally.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Can I be nosey and ask how much the vent fabrication cost?

Also, what type or grade of material did you use?

Thanks Hope. Great oven -- and now you get to really enjoy it.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Serf

The Vent Fabrication Cost $60.00 and the Flue Cost $10.00. I believe it was 16 gauge steel. The ceramic insulation blanket cost 94.00 for 50 sq feet.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Journeyman

Default Why can't we use standard fiber glass insulation?

(M) Hope wrote that "The ceramic insulation blanket cost 94.00 for 50 sq feet."

(M) That seems kinda "spendy". Why couldn't we simply lay out standard fiber glass batts, or rolls on top of our ovens and then, optionally apply insulating mortar covered with stucco ?

(M) I have seen many photos where builders constructed a shell of Durock or Wonderboard (a cement board) around their "igloo". Then they poured vermiculite or a similar insulation into the box they created that houses their igloo. Isn't that a lot cheaper?

Thanks,

Marcel
Old 09-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Apprentice

Default insulation blankets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope
The ceramic insulation blanket cost 94.00 for 50 sq feet.
You can get the same thing now on EBAY for 53 dollars plus shipping. Just search for "Kaowool".
Chad
My understanding is that when tyhe whole dome gets really hot the fiberglass melts. The Kaowool can withstand up to 3200.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

You can just pour vermiculite around the oven. The logic behind the insulating blanket is that it is more efficient than vermiculite, so it does a better job of keeping heat inside the oven. It keeps the thickness of the insulation down. It is also a solid blanket, that will keep anything, such as sand or loose insulation, from ever working its way down through your brickwork and falling into the oven.

Like most things in the Pompeii design, you get to choose, we just give you the information you need to make the choice. :-)

The $53 for 50 sq ft is a good price.

We stock Insulfrax 1" at Forno Bravo. You can always get it from us, though you have to pay shipping.

James

Old 09-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Journeyman

If do you prefer to use the fiberglass blanket to replace some of the vermiculite layer, you simply could change the order of work, as dome refractory bricks mortar vermiculite fiberglass stucco (finishing).
The vermiculite installed after mortar, down the temperatures reaching the fiberglass.
I made this in my hearth building (fiberglass vermiculite mortar sand & clay refractory bricks) and I had not experienced any problems.
I installed several thermocouples on the hearth surface, between this and mortar and below the fiberglass. The temperature curve of this last one show no variation in the first 3 hours or so (fired and cooking pizzas time) and an elevation of around 120 F over the next 12 hours (closed door, no fire at all).

Luis
Attached Thumbnails
Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-fiberglass.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-fiberglass1.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-vermiculiteform.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-isolatedslab.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 2-hearth.jpg  

Old 09-14-2005, 07:28 AM

Default That's REALLY interesting

Do you mean to say that the bottom of the fire brick floor stayed at room temperature for the entire cooking time, and didn't start to heat up until you closed the oven and the fire was out?

That gives us some indication of how useful thermal mass and insulation is under the oven floor, if true.

David