Old 08-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Serf

Default Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 1

Part one of the photos..
Hi Everyone:

I'm amazed at the fact that there are others out there like me who have a passion for pizza. They are SO passionate that they are driven to build an Italian style brick oven in their yards (and in some cases two or three of them!). I really had no idea there was such an interest.

Thank you to Jim for your email. I actually finished the Stucco layer on the dome yesterday-- HOORAY!!! Since I did not follow the foundation plans exactly, there is still more work to be done on the foundation. I still have three bags left of Stucco and I think I may need those to finish the foundation. I'll let Fred know if I have any leftover. Jim was nice enough to donate some Stucco to the oven...very appreciated.

I just viewed the photos of Luis's polystyrene form. That is fantastic! I wish I had thought of that. We kept cutting a circular piece of wood at each chain to rest the dome bricks on. It worked for us (but boy was I nervous!)

I've posted some photos on the Forum (There are two threads labeled Hope Pompeii Photos Part 1 and Part 2). I've been a little hesitant to post photos since I took some shortcuts on my design and it has some design imperfections (ie. the dome insulation taking up more room than I anticipated- hence the "extension" on the sides)- There is a reason my foundation is too small for the pompeii oven. A while back when I first discovered Forno Bravo, I had decided that the project was way over my abilities (which were NONE) and I looked for something simpler. I found the Adobe, Barrel Vault Oven in a Building Barbecues and Outdoor Kitchens Book. I decided that is more at my level. So, I built my foundation according to a Barrel Style Oven and just before I began to mortar the base bricks, I read Forno's comparison of Thermal Mass vs Brick and I changed my mind. I made another trip to New Haven Masonry and purchased 160 more bricks to build a Pompeii oven. I still plan to add a nicer oven landing (possibly granite) in the future and finish the sides.

I am happy that it is almost complete. I cooked a piece of London Broil the other night which was out of this world. I think it took four minutes on each side and it was SO juicy. My pies cooked so fast I didn't know what to do!! There were some times of uncertainty which can become frustrating. I didn't comprehend what an insulating blanket was until right before I needed to wrap it. I didn't even know what it looked like.

This group has saved me many times. I should have corresponded more in the beginning of the project. Many thanks to everyone. I will try to post some pictures of pizza in the next week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 1-chain-2-end.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 1-inside-3.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 1-form-1.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 1-shims.jpg   Hope Pompeii Oven Photos Part 1-inside-small-2.jpg  

Last edited by Hope; 08-22-2005 at 05:22 PM.