Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 02:47 AM
Laborer

Default Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA

Posted about my first oven a few years ago, and had heaps of help on this forum so thought i'd post progress of my new oven, built into an outdoor kitchen area!

I'll have a bbq built into the right hand side, and a sink on the left hand side.

Plan is to do polished concrete benchtops at the end...

All of the materials are secondhand or seconds. The dodgy colours of the besser blocks are gonna be rendered or tiled anyway...

So far have poured the pad, built the besser block wall using the mortar method and a few i have filled the cores with some steel just for extra strength. And of course the hearth base has been poured now as well.

I picked up a heap of bags of masonry cement (half lime, half cement) very very cheap so I actually used these for the pad. Spoke to the concretor who poured the base for my shed and he reckons so long as its 100mm thick, and has decent rebar in it then it will be fine. So far so good. Got to an end with a sledge hammer to see how it goes. strong as.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-02-10.30.26.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-02-10.30.34.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-02-10.30.40.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-02-10.30.50.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-02-10.31.04.jpg  

Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-02-10.31.08.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 02:49 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA

A few more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-02-12.32.58.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-02-12.33.03.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-03-15.25.09.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-03-15.25.17.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-03-15.25.24.jpg  

Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-09-15.05.41.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking good. What's with the multi colored bester blocks never seen those anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 AM
Laborer

Haha yea they are pretty funky..i have no idea why you would want them that colour...

probably why they were seconds. $1 each from rockingham, wa.

The only other issue with the other seconds is some were slightly crooked etc which caused me some grief with levels and plumb but whatever, will be rendered, and the top is level so all good...
Old 02-09-2014, 04:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA

G'day
On to you second oven, I think most would secretly like the excuse to have a second crack. You first was an "Allen Scott" what changes are you planning for the secound
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 02-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Laborer

Yea, the first one was at a house we owned and then rented out. Was always going to be the trial i suppose.

The allen scott was awesome, but just too much mass to heat up just for pizzas. Loved it to bits, and was awesome for bread, but I never made enough bread to make use of it.

This time I am going the pompeii from the plans, and the biggest thing i'll focus on is the chimney and landing...was a bit average in my last...but you live and learn
Old 02-09-2014, 05:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexi82 View Post
............I picked up a heap of bags of masonry cement (half lime, half cement) very very cheap so I actually used these for the pad. Spoke to the concretor who poured the base for my shed and he reckons so long as its 100mm thick, and has decent rebar in it then it will be fine. So far so good. Got to an end with a sledge hammer to see how it goes. strong as.
I would have bought a few bags of portland to "sweeten up" each batch as I poured the pad. What was your ratio of "masonry cement"-sand-gravel?

I am assuming, that you poured "concrete" for your hearth slab.

EDIT: That is going to be a fine intertaiment area .

Last edited by Gulf; 02-09-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 AM
Laborer

Was a 1:2:3 mix.....thought about that but as i said the bloke that poured concrete for a living reckons no worries for the application...i tend to agree.

yea used normal cement for the hearth.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Laborer

Progress...

Used some garden edging to form up the v-crete insulation layer. Poured that this afternoon. Stupid shadows playing games with my photos so will get a better one later or tomorrow.

I don't remember it being this crumbly last time i did it but that was a few years ago now and beer has damaged some of those brain cells...
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-12-16.05.04.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-13-13.03.29.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-13-15.10.33.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-13-15.10.39.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-13-15.11.05.jpg  

Old 02-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexi82 View Post
Was a 1:2:3 mix.....thought about that but as i said the bloke that poured concrete for a living reckons no worries for the application...i tend to agree.

yea used normal cement for the hearth.
I once met a man in a pub who said much the same thing. Lime will set up eventually, and the slab will be strong enough for the application. When all is said and done, you still have 8% cement by volume. The rebar will take care of the tensile strength, and given we all seem happy to stick a ruddy great oven on top of vermicrete, your slab is surely adequate in terms of compressive strength.

I reckon it depends on the local situation.
We seem to be able to use a much less "engineered" slab than the cousins across the water use.
Here in OZ we don't have to worry too much about frost heave.
Poms worry about damp proofing, I often wonder what it's like to live somewhere wet enough to have to bother.
In other parts of the world reactive clay soils matter.
In Perth, you could probably just screed the sand flat and start laying blocks I reckon. It drains well, it compacts evenly, and it isn't going to expand and contract with the seasons like Adelaide soil does.
What the guy in the pub did mention though was to beware of suppliers of premix who supplement cement with flyash. Especially those who use type GB (already got flyash and blast furnace slag in it) and then think they substitute a bit more flyash to cut costs.
He spoke of entire house slabs that wouldn't go off at all.

Last edited by wotavidone; 02-13-2014 at 12:17 PM.