Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Peasant

Default Dominick's Pizza Oven

Here are photos of my pizza oven so far.

You'll notice that the oven is "sunken." We did that so it would not dominate the open landscape around the house. The excavator assured us the drainage was good. There is a foot or so of stone under the cement floor.

As I said in a previous post, the mason/bricklayer/tilesetter is an artist. He has it all in his head and is not great at following the written plans. It's been a real "process." But I do believe the oven is beautiful. We can't wait to start curing it and...dare I say it... make pizza!

I guess I can post only 5 photos at a time. I'll post more later.

DB
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-002.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0003.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0022.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0025.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0066.jpg  

chuckgenco and DunkB like this.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Dominick's Pizza Oven

Here are four more photos of my oven in progress. I'll post more soon.

DB
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0074.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0077.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0085.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0088.jpg  
Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Master Builder

Thumbs up Re: Dominick's Pizza Oven

Nick,

It looks terrific.
I really like the design of the stand - the round centre, the three wood storage openings and the way the side units are angled.
Great job!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Peasant

Smile Re: Dominick's Pizza Oven

Thanks!

I can take no credit at all for the design. The mason, Brian, deserves the credit. I'll post his photo with the next batch. He's a real New England character.

When it's done, Brian and I will share the first pizza. Then the excavator who dug the pit (and installed a totally new septic system on my property) gets a slice. I've promised lots of "first slices." But Brian will definitely get the first.

Our relationship has not been totally smooth, but I've learned to let go... I think.

I believe what James has said is a good thought to keep: Just going from a regular 500 degree electric or gas oven to a 900+ degree woodburning oven is such a leap that we should not get too intense about the finer points. It's so easy in life to get hung up on the finer points and miss what's really going on around you.

This oven is a "hybrid." It's not quite a Napoletana oven and not quite a Tuscan oven.

It's a real adventure!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Apprentice

That is an awesome design. It looks like its built well below grade. Can you explain how you will finish the lay of the ground around it?

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Old 10-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Dominick's Pizza Oven

Hi Dominick,
My sentiments exactly.
It looks great and look foreward to seeing it progress to ther production of pizza stage.
kepp up the good work.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neill’s kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with the others.

It's looking awesome.

Are you using red fire bricks, or just red commons?

Just curious....

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Peasant

Thanks for your comments. I'll pass them on the Brian, the builder, when he returns. Which should be tomorrow. I hope.

To answer your questions:

They are red firebricks.

The plan is to fill in around the oven base with stone and topsoil. Brian stuccoed the outer wall to help protect it against dampness. There is a drain in the floor, which will be brick over the concrete.

I'll probably just plant grass around the edges.

There is a flagstone patio near the oven pit. Half the patio was dug up for the new septic system (old tank removal, new piping only. The drainage field is plenty far away from the oven!)

I never really liked the flagstone. I'm considering tearing it all up and replacing with used old bricks, like what's around the oven.

Thanks!

DB
Old 10-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Apprentice

Nick,
I really like the oven.
We need more pictures! Don't keep us hanging!
Put the pizza down and get moving.
Really cool!
fb66
Old 06-12-2009, 03:50 AM
Serf

Love the design ... have you got any more pictures? I'd like to see how you've done the roof