Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Serf

Default Daylight's UK 36" x 19" Pompeii build

Inspired by the Forno Bravo site, I have decided to help to spread the wood-burning oven craze to the UK. I am building a 36" diameter oven with a 19" high dome. The first course of bricks will be single upright 9" bricks. The original intention was to have an 18" elliptical dome but with only a 9" rise above the soldier course, this resulted in a worryingly shallow curve over a large part of the dome (see photo). Current thinking is that the dome will be part of a sphere that will provide a less shallow curve.

The oven will be sited close to the back door of our cottage to allow easy access during the Winter and those many cold and wet days that we have in this country! I am using a convenient space left by a redundant oil tank thus reducing the work needed for the stand. See photo. Extra supporting blocks were put in today and tomorrow we start on the frame for the hearth.

Martin.
Daylight's UK 36" x 19" Pompeii build-dsc_0003.jpg

Daylight's UK 36" x 19" Pompeii build-dsc_0006.jpg
Old 08-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Daylight's UK 36" x 19" Pompeii build

Looks like a beautiful location, Martin! Good luck with the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The oven will be sited close to the back door of our cottage to allow easy access
I'm sure your building codes are different than ours, but remember that your chimney needs to be two feet higher than anything within ten feet, for close to house builds.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think your dome height is too high. A typical pompeii has elliptical shape with the dome height 85% to 90% of the radius, or in your case 16 inches high. To facilitate this I would use a 4 1/2 inch soldier course.
The ellipse does not "sit on top" of the soldier course - it sits on the hearth. You start curving "catching up" to the elliptical shape from the top of the soldier course.

Last edited by Neil2; 08-13-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Journeyman

Personally I would bevel the top of the soldier course and use a catenary segment for the dome if you want to go this approach instead of a hemispherical shape, it's what I am doing on my 30" oven, and so far so good.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Serf

Many thanks all for your advice.

Demun - A very good point about the chimney height. Our building regs are the same as yours - 2ft higher than buildings within 10ft. Fortunately, the cottage extension at that point is only a low single storey and it will be easy to exceed the required clearance.

Neil2 and Shuboyje - I will take another look at the ellipse drawn from the floor level rather than the top of the soldier course but I am not too concerned if my design is a little unconventional. My main use of the oven will be for bread, hence the desire to have a 9" soldier course that will give me more space at the edges of the oven.

Martin.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Peasant

Martin

Where did you look up UK building regs for this? I only found planning permission details and concluded for the size, I did not need planning permission.

James
Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Serf

James,

I Googled 'chimney UK building regulations' and found a number of references, all of which seemed to give the same information. This link Flue outlet height, UK stove building regs J is one of them - condition 'D' applies to my oven because it is within 2300mm of the house. I also remember our plumber telling me about the regulations when he was installing a new boiler for us a few years ago.

You are quite correct about the planning permission - that is not required but building regs are another matter .......

Martin.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Serf

Here are a few posts to catch up with progress.
I was able to use two existing block walls for the oven stand, adding a new block wall on the third side alongside an existing thin stone wall. On 17th August we completed the shuttering and waited for good weather to pour the hearth.
The two pictures show the shuttering under construction and completed. The new block wall is on the right. The shuttering was made entirely using scrap wood from a friendly local builder.
Attached Thumbnails
Daylight's UK 36" x 19" Pompeii build-shuttering-under-construction.jpg   Daylight's UK 36" x 19" Pompeii build-shuttering-completed.jpg  
Old 09-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Serf

It has been an awful Summer in SouthWest England and it was a while before we were able to pour the hearth. The first photograph shows the rebar in place and the first pour about to happen. We put more rebar in than recommended mainly due to the large unsupported gap over the wood store underneath and the overhang over the flower bed on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Daylight's UK 36" x 19" Pompeii build-first-pour.jpg   Daylight's UK 36" x 19" Pompeii build-vermiculite-concrete-layer.jpg   Daylight's UK 36" x 19" Pompeii build-hearth-complete.jpg