Old 09-13-2009, 04:39 AM
Apprentice

Default Another Aussie Oven

After several years of pondering & wishing for a pizza oven I have now started on my own build. Actually, one of the reasons that it has taken me so long is that I didn't like any of the manufactured ovens on the market, They were all too small and too expensive. Once I stumbled on the Forno Bravo site I found a good oven that I could imagine in my back yard.

Another Aussie Oven-before.jpg
Above is the corner of the back yard before I took the axe to it. I would have like the oven closer to the house but I had to accept the planning approvals from the BOSS.

Another Aussie Oven-cleared-jungle.jpg
Clearing the jungle took a weekend and I am forever amazed as to why palms in Australia always seem to come with long sharp spines and/or thorns. All of the jungle was taken to some friends who have 2 goats. They just love any new vegetation and they don't care and complain about thorns! The WFO will sit in the corner of the yard and I will also install decking around the oven and new edging around the pool (this was a requirement of the planning approval)

Another Aussie Oven-helen-max.jpg
This weekend I finished the form for the base slab and I ran a conduit and cable from the house for lighting around the oven and decking.

That's it of the weekend and next weekend I will be pouring the slab.

Paul
Old 09-13-2009, 04:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Another Aussie Oven

welcome to the club,,, Nothing like breaking ground.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:39 AM
Apprentice

During the week I dug a trench across the back yard to take power to the WFO (to add lighting around the decking & for the WFO)

Another Aussie Oven-base-slab-ready-pour.jpg
Ready to pour.

My 16yr old son, Tim helped mix & pour the concrete. The last concreting job he helped me with we mixed by hand. He is impressed with the technology of a cement mixer!

Another Aussie Oven-pouring-progress.jpg
Tim in action.

Tomorrow morning I will co and get the concrete blocks to start the build.

Another Aussie Oven-base-slab.jpg
The completed slab.

Paul
Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter ego View Post

My 16yr old son, Tim helped mix & pour the concrete. The last concreting job he helped me with we mixed by hand. He is impressed with the technology of a cement mixer!

Paul
That's great,,, I hope he's still impressed with the low tech of laying bricks.

P.s. I love my cement mixer

Mark
Old 09-19-2009, 04:51 AM
Apprentice

I have to nag him to mow the grass but some how mixing concrete is more fun and he is happy to help... maybe it's the promise of pizza in the near future?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 AM
Apprentice

I am interested in what the size of slab you have there. I only looks to be about 1200 x 1200, what size oven do you plan to build?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

a promise of a little pizza can go a long way...... It will get your neighbors to help you carry 80lb, bags of cement..... Ahhh The Power Of Pizza

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 09-19-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyf View Post
I am interested in what the size of slab you have there. I only looks to be about 1200 x 1200, what size oven do you plan to build?
Rodney, you were very close. The slab is 1300 x 1300 and I am planning to build a 1000mm internal WFO. I didn't want the supporting structure to dominate the oven so the harth slab will be hexagonal and overhang the base. If i can figure how to convert a Google sketch dwg into a jpg file I will post a picture.

Paul

Last edited by Alter ego; 09-19-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Apprentice

That makes sense now, keep the pics coming and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Apprentice

I figured how to convert a Google Sketch drawing into a jpg file so here are the details of the intended design.

I didn't draw the WFO (it was one of the free 3D models available for download) but it will be similar to the style that I want. I mainly used it to determine how it would look on the base & slab.

Another Aussie Oven-pizza-oven-design.jpg
I have gone for the hexagonal base to allow the oven to fit easier into the corner of the yard and to have the smallest hearth slab that I could get away with.

Another Aussie Oven-pizza-oven-design-w-photo.jpg
The area will be finished with Red Gum timber decking and I will use low palms or non invasive bamboo along the left hand fence to screen it from the neighbours. (We don't want them looking over the fence and begging for pizza!)

Paul