Old 04-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Serf

Default Re: Adobe Pompeii

Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Journeyman

Hey Chris,

This is an interesting looking oven!

What have you used to build your brick? Is it a local clay? and what all did you mix in with the base material?

Are you planning to insulate the dome?

I will be interested to see your results! If the material holds up to the heat of the fire, it should work beautifully.

Keep us posted with progress and pictures!

JED
Old 04-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, what he said...

I don't know why, I love my brick oven madly, but I'm just also fascinated with clay ovens. So do keep us posted, it looks great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh hey, this thread belongs oven in alternative ovens, it'll just get lost here.
...right James?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:49 AM
Serf

The adobe was a local dirt/clay I used to make some bike jumps in the yard, straw and water. I let the bricks dry about a week.

The mortar was about 20 parts adobe to 1 part concrete. We let the initial shell dry about a week, then small fires leading up to the big one pictured above (the food was delicious!).

Then layers of adobe slapped on and smoothed out by hand. I moved the chimney back, with the thought that the dome might heat faster having hot air moving on both sides. The top is about 9" thick, the sides are about 6". I can stand on top of the dome, so I think that's good.

It's pretty much shaped out now, just need to wait another week or so, then small fires and such. Weather is looking great, high 70's for 5 days, so hopefully it will cure fast. I'm hungry.

After a few large fires, I'm going to seal it with a 1 part portland cement to 3 parts screened soil mix. It can always be repaired/kept up with the same mix.

I've never done this before, it may collapse in a shower of sparks, but it's been really fun, and the little bits of food have been wonderful.

Only downside of the project was needing another bag of concrete, bringing it into major cost-overrun, from the budgeted $3.50 up to $7.

I've got an IRT, I'll get some temps and pictures when we get going This forum has been great, as well as the Forno Bravo pdf. Thanks guys!

Chris
Old 04-24-2009, 05:55 AM
Serf

Two other things.. the floor of the oven is fire brick that is floating from the rest of the structure. The base is the old well for the property.

Chris
Old 04-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Serf

looking forward to seeing the next set of pictures GlassKitchen. Nice Work.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Journeyman

And expect a bit of grief from the Master of Operations at your home for a 100% cost overrun!

I solved the problem by not creating a budget, however, I did spend substantially more on the finished product, and I bet the pizza from either oven is just as fine!

Good work!

JED