Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Serf

Default 42" Pompeii - Northern Illinois

I've been following builds on this great forum and thinking about my build for a couple of years now. After waiting out the village permit application, approval from the homeowners association and finally the freezing temperatures and frozen ground, I'm excited to finally get started. Just finished drilling 5x10" diameter pier holes 42"deep, framing the base and adding the crushed rock and rebar tonight in the rain. The village inspector comes in the morning….. Assuming all goes well and the weather holds, we will be pouring concrete on Saturday. I welcome any advice the experienced builders here can offer.

I will post additional photos soon.

Last edited by I am Giuseppe; 03-27-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" Pompeii - Northern Illinois

Build on! Appears you have the fundamentals down, and it sounds good to me
. Keep us posted...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 AM
Master Builder

The first step, I am sure it will all roll out now that you have officialdom satisfied.

I look forward to following your progress. It is a worthwhile project and one that will serve you well.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-28-2014, 06:56 AM
Serf

Looking forward to oven management… Can anyone recommend thermocouples and digital or analog gages that I can install. Ideally I would like to install four sensors and a gage with a selector switch. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Journeyman

After consideration, I opted to go simple and use a hand-held IR thermometer instead of integrated thermocouples. You will learn and eventually get to "know your oven" and when and where the temperatures are. (Im sure I will get lots of folks who disagree with me).

One thing to consider is accessability to the thermocouples, in case you have to replace or rewire a thermocouple (thermocouples don't last forever, whereas you oven will).

I am still considering a thermocouple in the door thought....just haven't got around to it.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I Am,

Being an engineer, I thought that TCs were the way to go. I installed a couple in my dome one near the interior of brick and one near the exterior of the brick to measure heat saturation. All said and done, they work as design but in reality, I don't use them much now and just use the old infared gun or eyeball experience to cook. Nice gadgets but IMHO, use the money for some nice pizza peels.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Master Builder

Giuseppe

Like Utah I use the infra-red digital gun and after a while that goes by the by most of the time. You will soon learn how long it takes to saturate your oven and what temp it clears at. The reliable fist thrust into the oven works fine as well except the we count Burnett Rivers' rather than Mississippis'.

Seems to me that much of the charm of the ancient oven is its simplicity.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Laborer

For pizza all you need is to clear the dome and throw a bit of flour on the floor if you have a door and want to bake bread or roast just by a probe thermometer that will go through the door, about$25 all the rest is fun when new but you soon don't bother
Old 03-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
I Am,

Being an engineer, I thought that TCs were the way to go. I installed a couple in my dome one near the interior of brick and one near the exterior of the brick to measure heat saturation. All said and done, they work as design but in reality, I don't use them much now and just use the old infared gun or eyeball experience to cook. Nice gadgets but IMHO, use the money for some nice pizza peels.
Good advice here. I ditched the gun years ago. It has it's purpose, but after a while, you just don't need it.

But I'll not fault anyone for wanting another toy to buy......

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Giuseppe View Post
I've been following builds on this great forum and thinking about my build for a couple of years now. After waiting out the village permit application, approval from the homeowners association and finally the freezing temperatures and frozen ground, I'm excited to finally get started. Just finished drilling 5x10" diameter pier holes 42"deep, framing the base and adding the crushed rock and rebar tonight in the rain. The village inspector comes in the morning….. Assuming all goes well and the weather holds, we will be pouring concrete on Saturday. I welcome any advice the experienced builders here can offer.

I will post additional photos soon.

Wondering if anyone has concerns in the northern areas with frost penetration and lifting and or shifting of slabs on grade. At the very least I would put a couple inches of rigid styrofoam under the slab to try to prevent this.