Old 12-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta

Well .. After firing my badwfo for pizza last night.

I decided to try my hand a porchetta today. Earlier in the week I bought a double pack of Boston Butt pork roasts. They are actually raw pork shoulders.

I ran down to the grocery store this morning, and bought some garlic, onions, red potatoes, fresh carrots, and fresh fennel.

I'm taking lots of pics of the process in case this turns out really good. (fingers crossed)

So I will start with some pics of the ingredients and putting the porcettas in the WFO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta

Here are some pics of the pork shoulders

The fresh carrots and the fennel.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0966.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0967.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0969.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0970.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

some freshly ground black pepper. and all of the ingredients together.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0974.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0976.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0981.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lots of garlic

and

chopped fennel
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0983.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0988.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0992.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0994.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

time to de-bone the shoulders
and butterfly the roast for the big roll-up
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0995.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0996.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0997.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_0998.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

After butterflying the meat, I liberally salted and peppered the meat.

Then I placed the garlic, fennel, and some cut onions on top and rolled it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1000.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1001.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1002.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1006.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I then salted and peppered the outside. And tied it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1007.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1014.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1015.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1017.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did the same thing to the other shoulder and placed them in my roaster.
Here is a picture of them.

and a shot of them in the oven.

I've been using bricks as a temporary door. The last pic is of those bricks.

Later I will post pictures of the final product.

The oven at this point is still over 400f . I don't think it is much higher than that, but I can't measure it exactly.. > My current thermo only goes up that high.

Waiting on new one from ebay.

You can clearly see the crack in the back of my dome. It seems to have finally quit growing. Time will tell I guess.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1045.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1049.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1048.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1058.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but my mouth sure is watering.

Updated!

Old 12-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Update time.

I put the porchetta in at 1:00pm.

At 3:00 I checked on it. The oven temp has fallen below 400f and the internal temp of the meat at this point 150f. I'm shooting for pulling temps around 195-200f.

While I was checking on the porchetta I went ahead and cooked a mid-day snack/desert. Tasty I must say.

They took about 20 minutes in my WFO.

I also cooked some rolls earlier this morning for eating with the porchetta.

Here 's some pics.

My costs:

My pics: