Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Laborer

Default Won't be starting - Pizza ovens banned by local council

Can I light an outdoor fire or brazier on my residential property?

It is not possible to light an outdoor fire or brazier on a property zoned residential - there is a total outdoor fire ban in place on residential sections throughout Canterbury all year around. This includes pizza ovens.

Stupid, stupid, stupid ! Seems odd as thereís a much higher risk with a portable open metal tray BBQ often on flimsy legs with no flame control, versus an enclosed brick oven with a spark arrestor flue ! I've asked why but they've simply said no
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Won't be starting - Pizza ovens banned by local council

If fireplaces were allowed... I would make it an indoor oven. You would need to check with your local building people.

In my area if a roof structure is connected to your home say like a sun room then that is considered inside. But you will also need to check with your insurance company.

I would love my oven in a sun room, year round baking. Open some big doors to the patio.

It will cost more but you will have a killer oven area.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Laborer

Zero installations are allowed, outdoor or indoor. There's been clean air rules for years slowly restricting use of old house open fire places, requiring approved inserts to be fitted. In recent years that changed to never allow new installations of even the approved clean burning inserts. All new houses have to be electric or gas heated.

But there has always been an exemption for fire used for cooking so WFO, BBQs, etc were ok. Sadly seems no more though
Old 01-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Master Builder

That is truly a bummer!!! Time to move? Else, run for office.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Hasn't forno bravo got a gas conversion for an oven . A proper one with a safety cut out if the flame goes out.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=uk_exile; In recent years that changed to never allow new installations of even the approved clean burning inserts. All new houses have to be electric or gas [/QUOTE]

That's a pity because both electricity and gas mean using fossil fuels adding more CO 2 to the planets atmosphere. A wood fired oven relies on renewable wood which is carbon that is already in the system. So while banning WFO's might reduce local smoke emissions, when looking at the bigger picture forcing people to use gas or elec. is more polluting.
Sounds like beauracracy out of control again.
brickie in oz and Gulf like this.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
That's a pity because both electricity and gas mean using fossil fuels adding more CO 2 to the planets atmosphere. A wood fired oven relies on renewable wood which is carbon that is already in the system. So while banning WFO's might reduce local smoke emissions, when looking at the bigger picture forcing people to use gas or elec. is more polluting.
Sounds like beauracracy out of control again.

Ditto what David said.

Allowing timber to decay on the ground releases more carbon in the form of methane than you would get from burning the timber.

Uk Exile, whats the fine for having a fire, maybe the entertainment value will outweigh the fine?

Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-16-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Ditto what David said.

Allowing timber to decay on the ground releases more carbon in the form of methane than you would get from burning the timber.
Sorry Brickie, I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but I don't believe that is quite right, although I'd love to see the evidence of your claim.
Methane is a far more potent greenhouse gas than CO2, but,
Rotting animal or vegetable material only produces methane (CH4) in the absence of oxygen (anaerobic) like being underwater or buried underground. Above ground it will rot and the reaction with oxygen (aerobic) is different, producing ammonia (NH3) ,bye bye to nitrogen into the atmosphere. In anaerobic digestion the nitrogen remains behind as a valuable fertilizer. Once taught a student from Canada who used to go out into the middle of frozen lakes where a bubble of methane forms. He would hammer a large screwdriver through the ice and on removal light the escaping gas for a fun flame. with the gas under pressure it is apparently quite spectacular.

Last edited by david s; 01-16-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Won't be starting - Pizza ovens banned by local council

uk_exile,
I would be hanging around the council properties collecting evidence, getting article published in the local rag and newspapers, make an appointment with your local MP, stir up s**t and aim it at those responsible. Even find the mayor's address and have it and other concllors checked out, offer a reward for evidence of burning, smoke etc and be a real pain to the council. Especislly check the council dump, see if they burn!
Check out the local Country Fire Services as they need to have burns to train their recruits, more evidence!
If and when you get photos, send them to the council with an email which is also "cc'd" to the media, (radio stations, TV, newspapers etc), government officials MP's and see what happens! One of them will pick it up and run with it as the council will see who is receiving that email and information.
Put and add in the paper and drum up other supporters to add weight and contacts to your plight but whatever you do:
DON'T GIVE UP!
What can they do but relax or over rule their regulations!
Another option is to get a group as large as possible and front the council at their meeting or especially AGM. See if you can get a special meeting with the group and media also.

It's worth the fight.

Good luck.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Last edited by nissanneill; 01-16-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

How about a bonfire outside the council chambers? There must be a few local witches you could cleanse with fire.
We could be like the gun lobby, "they're not gonna take away ar pizza ovens, ova ma ded body"

Last edited by david s; 01-16-2013 at 03:07 AM.