Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Laborer

Default Wire mesh in foundation

Hi Folks,

Getting nearer to starting the foundations and am looking to acquire all the materials. From the pompei plans it states that i need wire mesh as well as the rebar. Ive managed to source rebar from a friend, but Im wondering just what is meant by 'wire mesh'. Is there some sort of construction grade wire mesh that is meant to be used? Or would something from this website be any use?
Wire mesh, chicken wire, wire netting, and chain link fencing :: Mesh Direct

Thanks for any help.

Cheers Ross
Old 06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wire mesh in foundation

Known technically as WWF or "Welded Wire Fabric". Usually on a 6 inch grid although you can sometimes find the 4 inch grid.

It is typically used to control cracking with the rebar providing the strength. You can do without it but it is very useful for holding the spacing and vertical placement of the rebar in the slab (and it is cheap).
Old 06-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Laborer

Nice one, thanks for the help guys.

Cheers Ross
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

Another good source for the wire mesh material that you guys seem to be looking for might be,

Belleville Wire Cloth Co., Inc - Woven Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth | Stainless Steel Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth Strainer

belleville Wire Cloth,

THey should have what you guys need, they carry a ton of meshes on their website in all sized shapes and alloys. Just thought I would throw you another source so that you can compare pricing with what you are already using....

-J
Old 12-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Apprentice

Ohhhhh boy. I must have overlooked that tip. To late now, hopefully our dense clay soil and lack of freezing temps will show me some mercy.