Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Serf

Default where do i start?

i am from trinidad,my dad is from tobago. every summer when i was a lad, my dad used to take us to tobago to visit granma and grandad. thet had a clay oven where they cooked there meals, and a fire pit in the ground also. I am now in my 50s, live in the country on 80 acres just outside of winnipeg manitoba, canada. I wanted to build a clay oven like granma and grandad had, but this isn't the tropics. I think that a brick oven is better in this climate. I have plans for the clay oven which came in one of the issues of Harrowsmith Countrylife magazine. However, like I mentioned, a brick oven would be better suited for this climate. I love gardening and cooking, you should taste the roti I make. I have six gran kids, who just love coming out here. So how do I go about constructing the brick oven?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: where do i start?

Hi Happy!
Start by downloading the e-book from the forno bravo store (it is free). Then read a bunch of posts here and look at the photo gallery....then ask questions.

Instruction Manuals & e-Books :: Forno Bravo Store

Have fun!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Serf

thank you drakeremoray,I'll do that
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome aboard.

A great place to start is Ken's thread.

He did outstanding work, and documented his progress throughout.

Take a look for a good visual guide.

But remember, he set the bar really high!

Here is a link:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...dome-2346.html (My Old Kentucky Dome)

Great to have ya!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Journeyman

Hi Happy...............Welcome to the forum. Take your time............read a lot, and plan what suits your expectation. It will be a great experience.

It's a while since I had roti........yummo as our American friends would say........

Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lots of good information and experience on this site.

If you are in Winnipeg, you should pay attention to the discussion on foundation - you will have to consider the frost depth. You can either go below (4 feet ?) or build a thick enough base slab that it can "float" on any frost heaving.

You will also have to pay attention to the final enclosure. It will have to be water proof - freeze / thaw will damage the brickwork if water gets in.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't forget to check out my buddy Dave's thread; he built a favoloso oven on an amazingly tight budget!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html (Dave's Pics of Progress)

Updated!