Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Neil2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Serf

Default What is this do I need one

Please...
What is this thing?? and what does it do? and will I need one???
A newbie still contemplating and researchingWhat is this   do I need one-what-.jpg
Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: What is this do I need one

Ah, that is a jig for positioning the bricks as you lay each chain to ensure they have the right angle to make a dome shape. It helps ensure a perfect arc from the center. Do you need it? Well it depends, lots of folks here will swear by them. Personally, I built my oven without one and six months on things seem fine. I'd say if you plan on building a few of these then maybe the jig is worth the investment of time and energy. I put myself on a strict budget and found using a quarter round shape of celotex that I used as a guide worked fine. When I reached the last few chains when the dome was more horizontal I inserted an exercise ball inside and it supported the bricks.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They will give you a hemispherical shape.

In my opinion an elliptical shape is preferable. For this I suggest you use a home made Styrofoam "fan" form. Cheap and easy to to do.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this   do I need one-jordan-river-012.jpg  
mant likes this.

Last edited by Neil2; 03-12-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 PM

It's the "indispensable" tool invented, I think, by Hendo. It comes in lots of flavors, including ones with clamps, although I'm a little dubious about that. Here's one by Pizza Bob that has a variable length, so you can use it to make elliptical section domes:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ions-7794.html (Need advice on dome and opening dimensions)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Journeyman

If you are a novice brick layer when you start this project the tool is true to its name. It is indispensible. Now that I have laid 3 courses I think I probably could do it without the tool based on the practice that I have had. It helps to maintain the correct angles so your dome will be the shape you envisioned it. There are many variations on the tool, I find the clamp is helpful. I am hoping to be done with my dome by the end of March ( I was also hoping to eat wood fired pizza for the super bowl, but that one didn't happen)message me when you are ready to get started.
Eric
Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used a cardboard pattern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

My pics: