Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Serf

Default Water vs. Fiber Board

Been Lurking for some time now and I have finally jumped in and started my build. For the record I am building a 38" WFO. Block base is done and the 3 1/2" structural hearth is complete. My plan is to use the 2" Fiber Board for the insulating hearth, which I now have 3 sheets from FB. And this is where my question comes in.
Since I live in Iowa the weather changes every 10 min. If I put down the Fiber Board then begin building my floor on top of that, what happens to the FB when it rains?
Will the water start to deteriorate the FB? Do I need to work under a tent and keep the elements off the build until I have everything completely enclosed?
My other thought would be to encapsulate the FB with a thin layer of vermiculate and concrete mixture. Good idea or not??
Thanks in advance to any and all suggestions.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Welcome :)

I've read where many of our members have had their insulation wet with no long term down side, it just makes curing the oven a bit more tedious as you get rid of the moisture slowly so as not to harm the oven.

Many members here put a cover of some kind over their oven as they build, both for heat relief and to keep the oven as dry as possible during construction.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Water vs. Fiber Board

Quote:
encapsulate the FB with a thin layer of vermiculate and concrete mixture. Good idea or not??
Not. Vermiculite concrete is even more water absorbent than refractory insulation.

Proceed with your build. Your board will not deteriorate to any appreciable extent with moisture.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would either opt for the pop up tent/canopy (they can be had for around $100 or so), or simply use a tarp.
I think it just makes sense to keep out the elements until you get things buttoned up, regardless what specific materials are used.
Do not expose vermiculite concrete to rain or excessive water, unless you enjoy portland cement flavored oatmeal.

RT
Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I intentionally left some of the product exposed under weight over the winter (rain and snow). It survived. I also posted a pic of my truck on top of a piece - this stuff is pretty much bullet proof.. As others have said, keep it dry if you can.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Serf

This my friends is the advice I have been looking for. Thanks so much for everyone's input. My intent is to move forward with a POP up tent and then stake it to the ground so that it can remain up until the build is complete. Pizza by the end of the Summer!!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you want that tent to stay put for a while take 4 Concrete blocks and put a leg into the hole of each one. Then pour concrete in each of the holes around the leg it will take quite a wind to move the tent after that and you do not need to avoid the tie down straps provided with the tent. if you want it to really stay put you can ram a piece of rebar in the ground in the same concreted hole and the canvas will blow away before the legs come off the ground.

Chip
Old 07-05-2011, 02:42 PM

Hi,

Heidi here from Forno Bravo, the FB board needs to stay dry, I would recommend using a tent while building the oven. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 1-800-407-5119 ext 14.

Thanks,
Heidi
Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Journeyman

Isnt the FB board from Forno Bravo a Calcium Silicate board?
This shouldnt be too bad if slight moisture gets on it. Ceramic fiber wiuld be worse.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Johnny, key word to your post is slight. tferin lives in Iowa - tornado alley. They can get baseball sized hale storms. I stand by my original post, COVER IT!

RT