Old 11-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Serf

Default Vermiculite Info

Is the vermiculite I would use as an insulator, the same stuff you can buy in the lawn and garden deptartment or is it something else. Where can I get it at? Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Vermiculite

Welcome aboard,
That's it. You can find vermiculite at some Home Depot stores, and at wholesale garden supply stores, in 4 cu. ft. bags. Don't buy it in small bags, or it will add up.

Here are a couple of useful links:

http://fornobravo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361

http://fornobravo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659

For Under Oven insulation, you might want to consider Super Isol, a rigid insulating board.

http://fornobravo.com/store/product....cat=248&page=1

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Laborer

I found my vermiculite and perlite at a hydroponics supply store. I just finished the insulating hearth today. It took just over four bags ($100) of perlite and about three hours (including start up and clean up) to cover the entire hearth.

In hindsight, the SuperIsol would have been a better use of my time, but I'm having fun trying to do my first oven as cheaply as possible (but no cheaper).

-Chris

Old 11-20-2006, 05:06 AM

I was horified by the first little batch of pearlite concrete I mixed up to go under my fireplace floor. What is this mess, I thought, but it hardened up to a really solid surface. The edges of it don't have any kind of hardness, but they don't fall apart, and it will all be covered up in my plan anyway.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Journeyman

Exclamation If Perlite is used, then be sure it is agricultural grade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenBoy
Is the vermiculite I would use as an insulator, the same stuff you can buy in the lawn and garden deptartment or is it something else. Where can I get it at? Thanks
(M) If you decide instead to use Perlite rather than Vermiculite, be sure that the Perlite is agricultural grade. The construction grade is coated with silicon and is *not* what you want. In mixing Perlite as an aggragate, it needs to be able to absorb water!

Ciao,

Marcel