Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Serf

Default Vermicrete Layer

I am completing my oven dome and have several questions concerning the vermicrete layer. Do I need to use chicken wire to cause the vermicrete to adhere to the dome and to cause the subsequent stucco layer to adhere to the vermicrete? Also, should I add the stucco layer before or after I cure the oven? My concern is that the stucco may hinder the moisture from escaping. I am really looking forward to reading any advice that you have.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Vermicrete Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappap View Post
I am completing my oven dome and have several questions concerning the vermicrete layer. Do I need to use chicken wire to cause the vermicrete to adhere to the dome and to cause the subsequent stucco layer to adhere to the vermicrete? Also, should I add the stucco layer before or after I cure the oven? My concern is that the stucco may hinder the moisture from escaping. I am really looking forward to reading any advice that you have.
You don't need strength in the vermicrete layer over the dome. You need just enough to hold it there so you can stucco over it. The more cement you add the less it insulates. The only reason the chicken wire is needed that I can see is to hold the blanket in place and even out where there may be folds.
I think curing the oven before adding the stucco is best. It reduces the risk of steam pressure in the insulation space causing cracks in the outer shell.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you do decide to stucco over your vermacrete layer before curing, make sure you leave a small ( 1 inch or so) vent at the apex of the dome.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Serf

Wow, a sandlapper from the low country of South Carolina gets help from david s of australia and neil2 of Vancouver Island. Thanks fellows. I will gladly use your advice. I had a large rock to explode in my firepit from steam pressure. A big fragment nearly hit me. I have been very careful with possible steam problems ever since.