Old 01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Laborer

Default Vent, Arch and landing materials

Hello All.
I have read conflicting information on Suitable materials for the Arch Vent area and Landing.

I was hoping i could use red clay bricks for the Arch and vent structure/flue and the landing in front of this area as well as normal portland brick mortar?

The floor of the Vent area i was going to use firebricks but would then put clay bricks in front outside the oven area is this ok.

Also why are dense fire bricks used in the vent area (OUTSIDE COOKING AREA)? I can understand the heat reasoning but wont this allow it to wick heat from the fire/cooking area of the dome to the outside? to me the ideal would be insulating fire bricks.

Regards
Bart
Old 01-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Vent, Arch and landing materials

Bart,
no matter what and who you talk to about anything and every thing, you will hear different opinions and ideas.
Outside of your hottest area, the dome and oven hearth, you can use different materials but they must still be suitable to withstand the conditions, heat, wear and hygiene.
Some people even like to isolate their oven hearth/void with insulation between their landing and hearth, others don't worry unless they want max heat retention within the dome/oven.
Provided that the material (in your case brick) is fired clay and not portland cement, it will be fine as it still gets hot but not as your hearth. These fired clay bricks/pavers are subjected to around 1200˚C during manufacture and our temps are at least below half of this.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Vent, Arch and landing materials

Quote:
Also why are dense fire bricks used in the vent area (OUTSIDE COOKING AREA)? I can understand the heat reasoning but wont this allow it to wick heat from the fire/cooking area of the dome to the outside? to me the ideal would be insulating fire bricks.
Insulating fire bricks are WAY too soft to use in this high traffic area. You are going to be dragging firewood, cooking utensils, tools over this floor, and you want it to be the same material as the hearth floor. This whole area gets really hot. I wouldn't use ordinary portland mortar here, and I wouldn't use red bricks unless there was a real reason to do so.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Laborer

ok granted that Insulting bricks are too soft.

So Dense Fire bricks it is !
but can a clays be used in vent wall and arch or only on the front arch as decorative cladding? surly if you *can* use red brick in the dome (yes i know its not best/recommended) it would be alright up front.

Last edited by wemme; 01-01-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Firebrick only needs to be used in areas of direct flame contact.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Master Builder

I think you'd be fine to use red brick for sides and front of the arch. I like that look and wished I'd done that when I built my oven.

When I put a big scary fire in my oven some flame does spill out and into the chimney. If you used firebrick for the top of the arch I think you'd be quite safe.

Christo

Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Master Builder

Hi, I have a few questions and I've included a photo.

I plan to use polished concrete in the landing area directly under the flue and right up against the oven floor. Can I pour concrete (without bonding) right up against the firebricks? Or should I create a narrow thermal break between the concrete and the firebricks? If so, how?

Can I use ordinary concrete mix or countertop concrete mix for this landing area? If so, does adding fireclay to the mix help? How about using castable refractory and polishing that?

Thanks,
George
Attached Thumbnails
Vent, Arch  and landing materials-p1040440.jpg  

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I poured right up against on mine. I did not use concrete, I used plain mortar, the same mortar I laid the black brick with, on the theory that the aggregate in concrete mix might have a different rate of expansion than the rest of the concrete. The highest temp I have registered on the landing is less than 300 degrees FYI.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I poured right up against on mine. I did not use concrete, I used plain mortar, the same mortar I laid the black brick with, on the theory that the aggregate in concrete mix might have a different rate of expansion than the rest of the concrete. The highest temp I have registered on the landing is less than 300 degrees FYI.
Then would it be all right to use mortar or homebrew mortar even though my landing will be 5.5" thick (3" board + 2.5" firebrick)? Can mortar be poured that thick and not crack?

George

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If it is runny enough to be poured, it will probably crack. Make it as dry as possible and it should be fine.