Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Serf

Default Which tools?

My new WFO (48" ID) will arrive soon, and I am getting everything ready for that day. I have been making pizzas and using my perforated peel and perforated turning peel, so I will keep using them. My questions is, do I need these? If so, recommendations? Any others?
  • Ash rake
  • Ash shovel
  • Oven brush and scraper
  • Bubble popper

Thanks in advance.
(BTW, I will post pics when it arrives)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Which tools?

I bought the tool set from Forno Bravo and have been happy with it:

Pizza Oven Tool Sets :: Forno Bravo Store
Old 12-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Peasant

There's another thread located at the link below with some useful stuff:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/...eas-17100.html (Christmas wish list ideas?)
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I see no need for the bubble popper - I think its pretty cool having them on the pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Apprentice

I built an ash slot/dump in front of the oven opening and use my brass bristle brush/scraper tool exclusively to clean my oven before baking bread (which has become my primary oven "event" - not pizza). Think about if you are going to put in an ash dump or simply clean out the oven the day after the pizza party. I'm spoiled now because I open the lid to my ash bin that's positioned below the ash slot, brush the ash & coals forward where they drop through the slot into the bin, close the bin cover and don't worry about the dead coals and ash until the bin's full (3-4 firings).

If you're just doing pizza, it doesn't seem like you'd need more than some kind of ash shovel for the day after cleanup. I did buy a pizza popper and have used it extensively-not for pizza popping-but for positioning pots & pans in & out of the cooking zone. The stainless steel of the popper makes it a pretty good (read strong & sturdy) tool when you need to hook that dutch oven or Cornish Game hens in a skillet that have been pushed deep into the oven.

I also picked up a 3' piece of 1/2" ID copper pipe and flattened it on one end. The flattened end gives me a little wider air path and increases the velocity of the outflow-makes for a great blow tube (bellows effect) to brighten up the coals when I'm starting or refreshing the fire. After brushing out the coals & ash, the tube also works well to literally blow the hearth floor clean prior to baking-rather than wiping it down with a damp cloth. The ash is lifted up and out the flue with the hot air from the oven.
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SableSprings; 01-02-2012 at 10:10 AM.