Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Serf

Default Temperature measurement

I've seen these pyrometers on Ebay for just a few dollars.

I'm planning my oven and want to have some temperature monitoring.

Ive seen most commercial wood fired ovens have a digital read out of temperature.

I guess these use a thermocouple in the oven and an A/D converter, and finally a display. This is not to complicated but simpler and quicker would be to use the hand held laser pyrometer, and would allow me to measure temperature on all the bits of the oven I can see from the door.

Any wisdom here on the subject ?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Temperature measurement

I'm thinking of some kind of reasonably priced built-in temperature monitor. Maybe as simple as in the door. I'll check ebay.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Temperature measurement

Infrared thermometers are widely available in a bunch of price ranges. Be sure you get one that measures up to 1000f. I don't have one, and you don't really need one for ordinary use: I judge pizza temperatures by carbon burn-off, and have a cheap oven thermometer for retained heat baking.

A quick forum search showed a number of threads about buying an infrared gun, but a lot fewer about using one.

The same things goes with the built in thermocouples: you'll find a lot about installing them, less about using them, i suspect for the same reason.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Infrared thermometers are widely available in a bunch of price ranges. Be sure you get one that measures up to 1000f. I don't have one, and you don't really need one for ordinary use: I judge pizza temperatures by carbon burn-off, and have a cheap oven thermometer for retained heat baking.

A quick forum search showed a number of threads about buying an infrared gun, but a lot fewer about using one.

The same things goes with the built in thermocouples: you'll find a lot about installing them, less about using them, i suspect for the same reason.
Thanks, I have one of those that goes to almost 800 degrees. But, I think I'd like to have a data point at a glance -for knowing oven temp after pizza and before bread. I'm trying to take good advice from you veterans, I'm coming around -seeing your build dmun, I know I should listen to you 99 times out of 100
Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Master Builder

I don't use the IR thermometer all that much not. It was a fun new gadget to play with during the curing process. I now also rely on carbon burn off.
For retained heat monitoring and management I rely on the door mounted dial thermometer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 12-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
I don't use the IR thermometer all that much not. It was a fun new gadget to play with during the curing process. I now also rely on carbon burn off.
For retained heat monitoring and management I rely on the door mounted dial thermometer.
There, you confirmed to me that is how I want to go: Door mounted dialmometer

THANKS! Day-in-day-out I find your posts most helpful and informative.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Journeyman

Lburou,

Here is something I learned about the IR thermometer. You'll get consistent results if you can aim the beam directly at a dark, heated, object instead of glancing the beam off the floor. A small piece of firebrick mid-oven should work fine and give an accurate floor temp.

Cheers,

Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Laborer

I installed 4 thermocouples in the floor at different distances from the surface and 2 in the dome. I also got a IR thermometer.

Now after cooking less then a dozen times I don't use any of it and watch for the carbon to burn off.

I don't regret putting in the thermocouples. I'm a data junky and like to be able to "See" what's going on with the heat saturation in the oven. However, it's clearly not required.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpizzanut View Post
Lburou,

Here is something I learned about the IR thermometer. You'll get consistent results if you can aim the beam directly at a dark, heated, object instead of glancing the beam off the floor. A small piece of firebrick mid-oven should work fine and give an accurate floor temp.

Cheers,
Thanks, I'll try that when the time comes
Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Journeyman

Hi All,

We cooked our first pizza and bread today. I have an IR thermometer and used it in combination with the cleared dome to give me an idea of when to put on the pizza. After the fire burned down I raked coals over the oven floor, then went in to spread out the dough and dress the pizza. I pushed the coals to the rear of the oven then went inside to bring out the pizza. It came off the peel just fine and began cooking right away. It was easy to see the dough puff and I easily knew when to turn the pie with a small round peel. After another minute I could see the topping bubbling and the cheese begin to brown. One more turn and it was done to perfection. For this cook I used the advice of forum members and the IR to confirm temps. After we ate, my wife formed a loaf of no-knead bread dough and let it rest for 20 min. Then into the oven it went. I used the WAG method to determine the proper temperature, but also relied on forum members guidance that bread can go in the oven after pizza. It worked like a charm. I sprayed about 20 squirts of water into the oven to steam it up for a crispy crust. 30 minutes later we had a nice golden loaf that smelled wonderful. I hope it is this easy every time.

Cheers,