Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brickie in oz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Serf

Default Super duty brick for floor

I am building a 42 inch Pompeii oven have built base and poured a 3.5 inch plicast 3000 insulated floor. When I went to pick up my medium fire brick they had 12x12 super duty brick and I thought hey that would be good for the floor ( less joints) then got home and I am now worried if the super duty will be to reflective per sey and cause me heat issues ..... Thoughts? Or just paranoid !!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Super duty brick for floor

Super Duty brick should work fine. They will not reflect more heat. Super Duty brick are slightly denser then medium duty brick, and will take a little longer to heat up and cool down, but I feel the increased heat resistance, and thermal shock resistance more then make up for this. In the ovens we build, we use nothing lower then high duty materials, and try to upgrade to superduty whenever possible
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpn1112 View Post
Or just paranoid !!
Correct.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My whole build is done with super duty, 65% alumina bricks, they were surplus from a steel mill. The only issues I had with super duty is they are tough as #$%* and hard on diamond blades but since you using for the floor with min. amt of cuts this should not be an issue. Use what you got and move on.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-20-2013, 04:09 AM
Serf

Well I let paranoia get the best of me and decided on the medium duty for the floor . Thanks for the response tho , after reading a bunch more forum post I weighed the ease of using of laying the 12x12 to the length of heating up time it may cause and went with the medium duty. Here is pic of where I am at now.
Attached Thumbnails
Super duty brick for floor-image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Peasant

I'm using a super duty tile (61x61cm!) since I'm doing zero cutting for my oven, I thought worse case if the floor gets to hot I'll just buy a few pizza trays and once the bottom of the pizza is cooked I can put it on the tray to finish cooking.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo420 View Post
if the floor gets to hot
Another oven myth, they only get as hot as the fuel you chuck in will let them get.
UtahBeehiver likes this.