Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Laborer

Default Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if an experienced eye could have a look at these photos and tell if they'd be any good for using in the dome.
They're from two different tenement flats built about 100-150 years ago, so I suppose the bricks could be antiques!
When I hit them they just split in two, but not sure if I've used a big enough hammer (its in a photo 4 links down).

I cant resize the photos to make them small enough to attach so I've put the links here if anyone could tell me if the bricks are any good it would be much appreciated.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Thanks for any help in advance, it is very much appreciated

Cheers Ross
Old 04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?

Do they go "Clink!" or "thunk" when you hit them.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Laborer

Not too sure. Think it was more of a 'thunk'. Which is better? I'll try it again tomorrow. Does it matter that it is on grass?

Cheers
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM

testing tinyPic box that says "IMG code for forums and message boards" It's right there next to the picture...

Yep, it works. If you want it smaller, download the free, easy picture viewer/editor, Irfanview if you're on a windows machine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thunk is better.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?

Ross,
from a person who also supports the use of good red solid bricks for substitute firebrick builds, they are looking OK. I would get a larger sledge rather than the 'mash hammer' and give them a really hard hit. I use a 16lb sledge, the biggest one sold but don't put as much effort or you will turn this brick to dust. This will tell the final tale. if it crumbles into a powdery mess, the don't use, if it breaks into hard, sharp shards and less pieces, then they will be fine. I also try to crumble the centre of the brick with the fingers, a pair of pliers or a small hammer to see how it breaks down.
I used the 16lb sledge to break the 30 year old house brick (as I don't have any really old bricks around), it exploded and only left the impact area in the pic. I had to collect the pieces from around a metre and a half radius. Next was te clay fired paver, around half the energy and good results.
I have also included a range of hammers that I use, The smaller yellow handled one is is the same or similar size to the hammer you used, commonly called a mash hammer but with a longer handle rather than your stumpy one which is used mainly by bricklayers to cut bricks.

Cheers.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?-heavy-smash.jpg   Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?-paver-smash.jpg   Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?-sledge-hammers.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Journeyman

Neil,

Are those red pavers a good substitute for firebricks?

I have my eye out for second hand reds - but I see those pavers for sale all the time...

cheers,
mitch.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Laborer

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully I've posted some pics below. I'm not sure what to make of them. They seem to have split in large pieces, although there is also some dust. I've also included a pic of the hammer i used. Also I did the test on the halves I had left over from last night's test with the mash hammer. Didn't think it would matter?

Cheers for any help in advance, Ross
Attached Thumbnails
Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?-dscf3769.jpg   Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?-dscf3766.jpg   Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?-dscf3765.jpg   Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?-dscf3764.jpg  
Old 04-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Those are fired pretty hard, but they also look to have been extruded (not that it matters). Out of curiosity, does the grain appear to be round like a log or stratified flat?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Laborer

Hi Tscarborough,

I think that it made more of a thunk than a clunk. I've attached a photo of the grain. It definitley isn't round like a log, but I can't really make out much of a grain. What does it mean when they're extruded?

Cheers Ross
Attached Thumbnails
Suitable Pressed Reds (photos)?-dscf3771.jpg