Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Serf

Default Shape of dome

Hi,

I have a question regarding the shape of the dome. Its is necessary the dome be curved?

If i made the oven a cuboid (i.e. rectangular ) would it make a major difference? I am planning to build one but I know i will have trouble with the curved dome so i was thinking a flat dome.

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Shape of dome

A flat ceiling in the oven sounds like a very, very bad idea to me. First, the curved dome actually reflects heat to the center of the floor and that is part of the secret of the domed oven performance. Secondly, as a practical matter, the dome shape is based on the physical characteristics of an arch; meaning, each brick rests on the brick immediately below it. Without that arch shape, it will be very difficult to hold the ceiling up. The arch is really not that difficult once you understand what is going on and how to do it.

There is a blue link in my signature, click on it and you will find a lot of information that will help you get started.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The type of arch you are contemplating is actually harder to build than a spherical dome.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Serf

I am making a paper amchie dome . once I have many layers of paper amchie it will sit inside on the base and then I can build the bricks around it leaning on the paper dome to hold in place until the refractory cement sets. also once all the bricks are in place they will interlock and hold each other into place . also I thought once it is all done I can set fire to the paper machie dome and it will burn inside the oven as the 1st firing.