Old 09-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Serf

Default Sairset

Guys,

I need to download some pictures. Unfortunately I am more motivated to work when I am at home than go to the computer.

I laid out the floor and set it. The guy at the brick store talked me into Sairset pre-mixed morter. At first it seemed like a good idea. Two things came up that I want to fix or get settled before I go to the third row of bricks.

I was trimming the bricks so they have a pretty close fit side to side but I just tipped the bricks up and used mortar to get the curve in the vertical. I did notice the Sairset cracks a little when used in joints that thick (about 9/16")

Anyone know of adverse effects due to this? Or do I need to reverse course and use a different mortar? (I have the soldier row and the first curved row in and set.)

Second, for people using Sairset: How do you mix it up when you first open it? There is an oily yellow colored liquid on top that I assume needs to be reconstituted into the entire mix. I think if I stuck a drill and paddle into it I would turn the bucket!

Is it OK to have a damp sponge to wipe off excess mortar on the inside joint? I am obviously not the greatest bricklayer!

Last is it ok to put a little water in towards the end of the bucket? I did do that and it works a little easier. Just did not know if it was a good idea!

Thanks for any input. I need to make hay here in Iowa before November hits!

Pictures will come, I promise. So far it is going OK.