Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Apprentice

Exclamation Raffy's WFO Build

Hi WFO Enthusiasts,

I am proud to announce that I will be constructing my very own WFO very soon. I will be posting pictures as I go along and I hope in the process I can get input from you veterans.

The foundation and stand seem very simple to build but I am worried about my insulating hearth. As with all of you, I want my oven to be properly insulated. I have tried and tried to look for vermiculite here in the Philippines unfortunately it is not a commonly used component in insulation or construction. Although, I have found a supplier of perlite. So, my question is what is the proper ratio of perlite to concrete and will it be able to support the heavy firebricks that will be laid on it. This concerns me because I don't want the cooking surface or the dome to just suddenly collapse because the perlite concrete mixture could not take the weight of the firebricks. But, then again, I don't want heat to seep away especially from the cooking surface of the oven. So what is the ideal proportion of cement and perlite without having to sacrfice durability? What are the cement and perlite mixtures respective compression capacities at different ratios?

I'm concerned about this because once the oven is built I'm afraid the cooking floor might gradually become uneven or, worse, might collapse under the weight of the cooking surface (firebricks) or the dome.

Would it be better to put some other material underneath like insulating bricks instead?

Would really appreciate input from all of you.

Personal Regards,
Raffy
Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Perlite and vermiculite work the same. I used perlite, and I like that the white color lets you know when everything is thoroughly mixed. Refractory insulating bricks will work as well, but they are FAR more expensive, at least here in the US. In either case you will need at least four inches under the floor.

You need not worry about the compressive strength of insulating concrete. They use it to build swimming pools, and they support tons and tons of weight. This is tested and proved technology.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Apprentice

Thanks, Dmun. I guess when people describe it as corky consistency when it dries made me hesitant to use perlite concrete as an insulating material underneath the cooking surface and dome. I'm very excited to start on construction and I will start purchasing construction material this coming week.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by Raffy; 02-12-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hi raffy and welcome to the forum,,

here is a link to another phillipines build,, write to john,, great guy and im sure he would be happy to share info with you

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/m...ress-7690.html (My progress)

Cheers
Mark
Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Apprentice

Thanks, Mark! We're friends on facebook already. Me and John I mean. I have seen his build. Quite interesting. He can most likely help me with finding materials although he is from a different region here.

Last edited by Raffy; 02-12-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

your welcome raffy,,

I am also friends with john on facebook.. Here is my facebook adress Login | Facebook
send me an invite,,, i have pics of my build... Also Forno Bravo is on facebook....
Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I have officially started with my oven. I have broken ground and have started tilling the soil and clearing debris. I'm so excited and I can already smell the pizzas and roasts. I'll post some pictures soon!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Apprentice

Smile Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Just a couple of pics preparing for the floor.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good start raffy.... Are you going to put some gravel under your foundation ??
Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Apprentice

Yup I will put gravel then a plastic sheet so the ground wont wick away the water from the slab.

« Curing | Black Soot »