Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

View Poll Results: Will this way of making modular pieces work
Yes 0 0%
Yes but fewer pieces 0 0%
Yes but more pieces 0 0%
Not very well 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Serf

Smile Own design modular idea question

Enjoying the whole forum. Question at the end.
I'm intending to build a pizza oven in stages. So I can prepare the dome out of the weather and take it to final build site in bits, light enough to carry by hand.
Here's the idea.
1) make a former. Probably 'Mudrock' over chicken wire to avoid loads of sand inside the shed. The chicken wire is itself formed over some cheap 4mm polycarbonate twin wall glazing I have spare and can cut with a knife.
2) Make the dome out of castable refractory, either a heat resist screed or mouldable firebrick.
3) Before it has set, cut through it in 12 segments, starting from a 12 sided keystone. Each piece wiil be light enough to pick up.
4) Allow it to set.
5) Carry out and assemble in final location, like a dry build, ready for small curing fire then insulation.

I thought of making geodesic based on soccer ball, but don't have the skill to make the shapes accurately enough. Ditto a truncated prism. But this way, the cuts do not need to be accurate! Just numbered so they fit again. I'll use an old penknife.

The actual dome shape is a smaller version of Pompeii style, with 60cm internal diameter.

Questions
Do you think it'll work? Any improvements?
I only want to cook 12" pizza at a time, occasional steak, whole chicken etc for max eight people. Is it big enough?

Tags
castable, dry build, modular, sand form