Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Apprentice

Default oven stand size

I originally bought a foam form from brickwoodovens.com and didnt get a chance to build the oven and now im considering a Pompeii oven build. Heres my challenge, while I didnt build the oven I did build the base and oven stand. The oven stand is 52" deep and 50" wide. The base is 6 inches thing and is 4' 4' and the stand is held up by 6 large cement pillars. Given these dimensions am I able to build either tbe 36" or 42" pompeii ovens? I dont need a landing as I have a table right next to my oven but id like at least 2" of ceramic fibre Insulation
Old 02-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: oven stand size

If I understand your description of the oven stand. It sounds like you have a hearth slab cantilevered over the cement pillars. I think you are ok, width wise, for a 32" pompeii. The problem is that, depth wise, you will not have enough room for a flu entry. That's just my opinion.

You could cantilever another hearth slab over the existing one to get what ever size oven you really want. That would increase the finished floor heigth, though. If you stay with a 32", You could posibly just cantilever an extension to the front for the flu entry.

Are you building an enclosure or an Igloo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the response.... With the barrel style I was going to build I wasn't going to do any enclosure, wasn't sure with with the Pompeii as I just started looking at it but likely no enclosure.

Yes the top hearth slab is cantilevered on the pillars. They are easily removeable as I poured them in forms and lifted the 2 pieces up with my tractor. Would I be better to just make new a new hearth slab?
Old 02-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Apprentice

Here's a picture of my base with the pillars but no hearth slab Brick Oven Base Photo by tgelsinger | Photobucket
Old 02-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
Thanks for the response.... With the barrel style I was going to build I wasn't going to do any enclosure, wasn't sure with with the Pompeii as I just started looking at it but likely no enclosure.

Yes the top hearth slab is cantilevered on the pillars. They are easily removeable as I poured them in forms and lifted the 2 pieces up with my tractor. Would I be better to just make new a new hearth slab?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
Here's a picture of my base with the pillars but no hearth slab

Very nice pillars! Did you form them?

If the added heighth was not a problem I would form and pour a cantilever on top of the existing hearth slab. I would put a good moisture barrier between the two slabs. If I were building another igloo, I would make the form rounded (at least in the back) and to the exact size of the finished oven. That is one thing that I would do different from the one that I built. Great looking start .

EDIT: The moisture barrier between the two slabs may not be necessary. But, I feel that placing one between the finshed slab and the floor insulation, is. Also, You mentioned in your op that you wanted "at least 2" of ceramic fiber". Buy that, I take it that you would want more if you had the room.

Last edited by Gulf; 02-23-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
If I understand your description of the oven stand. It sounds like you have a hearth slab cantilevered over the cement pillars. I think you are ok, width wise, for a 32" pompeii. The problem is that, depth wise, you will not have enough room for a flu entry. That's just my opinion.

You could cantilever another hearth slab over the existing one to get what ever size oven you really want. That would increase the finished floor heigth, though. If you stay with a 32", You could posibly just cantilever an extension to the front for the flu entry.

Are you building an enclosure or an Igloo?
The centre of a 32 inch dome needs to be 16inches of radius, plus 4 inches of brick thickness + 2 inches of ceramic inculation + 1 inch of render from the back edge of the slab, i.e. 23 inches from the rear edge, leaving 29 inches for the front half of the oven.
Given that the inner arch slices a bit off the front of the circle, and you are happy to do without any sort of landing, I reckon you just have enough room for an entry arch on a 52 inch slab.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:39 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Very nice pillars! Did you form them?

If the added heighth was not a problem I would form and pour a cantilever on top of the existing hearth slab. I would put a good moisture barrier between the two slabs. If I were building another igloo, I would make the form rounded (at least in the back) and to the exact size of the finished oven. That is one thing that I would do different from the one that I built. Great looking start .

EDIT: The moisture barrier between the two slabs may not be necessary. But, I feel that placing one between the finshed slab and the floor insulation, is. Also, You mentioned in your op that you wanted "at least 2" of ceramic fiber". Buy that, I take it that you would want more if you had the room.
I didn't form the pillars myself, got them at an auction for about 17 bucks a piece. Added hight is no issue.

As for insulation I live up in Canada so our climate kids cold in winter. Other sure if I'd fire it up in the Winter or not but I'd rather have the option.

Last edited by thebigt; 02-24-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:47 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
The centre of a 32 inch dome needs to be 16inches of radius, plus 4 inches of brick thickness + 2 inches of ceramic inculation + 1 inch of render from the back edge of the slab, i.e. 23 inches from the rear edge, leaving 29 inches for the front half of the oven.
Given that the inner arch slices a bit off the front of the circle, and you are happy to do without any sort of landing, I reckon you just have enough room for an entry arch on a 52 inch slab.
I guess I shouldn't dismiss a landing without getting the opionions of those who have them. Yes I do have a table nearby but would a landing be more practical?

Im Ok with having to pour a little more concrete if it means getting the oven right, as I don't think my wife will let me have another crack at it.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyways. This would give me 6" for the entry arch as well as the vent? Would my sides be ok as well given that it is only 50" wide?

Will I be disappointed that I didn't build a bigger oven?
Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Will I be disappointed that I didn't build a bigger oven?
The mere fact that you asked means the answer is yes.

Before you move forward, consider the occasion (no. of mouths) and frequency of the use of your oven. If you will be doing any kind of roasting, slow-cooking, bread, etc in addition to pizza, a landing will prove essential.

Like me, if you live in a place with wind, you will want to accommodate a deeper vent. Since it snows, consider a small enclosure.

You are wise to switch to a real design and abandon your Brickwood Ovens idea. Those oven plans are saturated with fatal design flaws and are, frankly, a joke.

Keep us posted on your ideas and remember there is no such thing as a dumb question.

John