Old 06-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Serf

Default Oven stand

I am ready to start building for my oven, and I usually can find the answers reading this awesome site, but now I'm stumped and can't find any threads to answer my questions, so I was hoping someone could help.
Starting with my stand for my 36 inch oven, got the base poured 70x80 and I purchased the 8x8x16 blocks to start on the stand. My question is...

1. None of the blocks seem to be the same size, if I dry fit each block and shape my stand, pour cement with rebar, within the blocks to secure it, does it matter if it's level since the hearth is going to be poured flat and level?

2. I have all the rebar I need from my brother-in-law, but it's 3/8 not 1/2 inch. If I place this close, like 4-6 inches, would it be suffice?

Thank you.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Oven stand

You'll be fine with the block. Just get them as square, level and plumb as you can. You are right, it can be leveled up w/the forms when you pour your hearth slab. It's important to get it done then, though. Starting w/a nice, flat and level slab makes life easier. As for the rebar, it's fine to use. No need to place it that close, though. Even approx. one foot centers is fine. I actually prefer 3/8" rebar when pouring slabs that are 3 1/2 to 4 inches thick, which I am assuming you are. Either works fine, but there is no need to use 1/2", especially since you have access to the 3/8".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra

Last edited by NCMan; 06-20-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Serf

Thank you for the quick reply NCMan! Yes, I'm going to place a 4 inch slab and then use Foamglass with vermiculite as insulate. I think 3.5 inches would be fine. Thanks again!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Journeyman

You're welcome. Good luck w/your build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra