Old 06-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Peasant

Default Oven opening too small

My oven's opening is 13" and seems to be too small. Does anyone know what size is good for an opening?

I was also wondering if anyone has any idea how i can make the opening any bigger.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oven opening too small

We will need more information for that question. First off the oven compartment size length width and height. Then the width and height of your door. Type of oven brick or formed. Pictures are always a big help also.

That will be a good start.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Peasant

I will measure and get the oven sizes. I don't have a door yet and we used fire bricks. I have attached a picture.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Oven opening too small-photo.jpg  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 AM

Faith's questions point to the fact the the opening should be proportional to the oven size. Too tall an opening and the oven won't have proper air travel for combustion. Too wide an opening and your oven will loose too much heat.

Your picture seems to indicate that it's a pretty small oven, but the opening looks about right for the size.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Peasant

it's just hard to manoeuvre in there especially with any kind of pizza peel.
Thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is like boat design, every variation is a compromise. Opening too wide creates increased heat loss, opening too narrow creates working the oven more difficult.
I find an angle grinder with a diamond blade a most useful tool, but maybe you just need to learn to use what you've got. Cutting the opening may compromise the structural integrity of your oven.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Peasant

Hi

I did measure and the dimensions are around 26" wide by 19" deep by 19" high??

Thanks again
Old 06-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Master Builder

Not quite understanding your measurements. dmun is correct that I'm trying to figure the dimensions of your oven because they are proportional to the oven size.

So before you start ripping apart your opening you should figure how large of an opening your oven can handle for proper operation. If you start messing with your inner arch you need to consider some structural issues. If you have a small oven and the opening is close to maximum it may not be worth the effort for an additional inch or two of opening.

so with that said we need two sets of measurements. the oven compartment and the inner arch. The oven compartment should be measured from side to side in the center of the oven and the height should be measured from the center of the oven top to floor. Both measurements should be on the inside of the oven.

The second set of measurements is the inner arch or inner opening to the oven. the width is side to side and the height is from the floor to the highest point of the inner arch.

With this information we can help you figure if you oven can support a larger opening and you can decide if it's worth your time effort and money to make it larger.

Faith