Old 12-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Serf

Question Oven Floor and Oven Opening questions

after responses on prior questions floor will be on angle iron at 16" center sitting on block wall. Cement board with rebar and concrete, insulation will be 3" calsil block (36"x12"x3") and then my fire block slabs (24"x12"x3"). 36" dome oven is my design. QUESTION - does insulation factor of 3" calsil block seem sufficient and also have enough density to support distributed weight of oven without breaking down?

Next - read many books looked at Formo's plans but still struggling with opening - does anyone have good pictures or plans for the opening and chimney?
Old 12-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oven Floor and Oven Opening questions

I often wish I'd read this before I started.
View these threads and you'll find many pictures of how the arch is married to the dome, and how most guys mate up the outer arch and chimney

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/ne...s-15133-8.html (A newbies survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives)

Here's a pick of how I did the inner arch to dome marry up, then I put a stainless steel hood and a brick arch in front of that for carrying away the smoke.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Floor and Oven Opening questions-dsc00681-800x600-.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I often wish I'd read this before I started.
View these threads and you'll find many pictures of how the arch is married to the dome, and how most guys mate up the outer arch and chimney

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/ne...s-15133-8.html (A newbies survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives)

Here's a pick of how I did the inner arch to dome marry up, then I put a stainless steel hood and a brick arch in front of that for carrying away the smoke.
would you mind sending pictures of the finished product with the hood and brick arch in frront of the oven opening thanks I will defineitely use the picture above for insights tot he opening
Old 02-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you are struggling with the opening and chimney, I've put together a 7 sheet pdf (attached here) of my oven and how it was built.

My oven was a 42" diameter and I did the slightly harder thing of:
1. Having a deep landing (the area between the inner arch and outer arch)
2. having my landing "flaired": its a couple inches wider in front than were the inner arch is and the door goes.
3. I was very concerned about having excellent draft of the smoke, so i made my "flu-box" (that's the opening above the landing) quite large and therefore had to taper it down, or rather up, to meet the 8" steel vent pipe.

I've never done brick work before but we all learn as we make it and we figure it out with the help of everyone on this forum and their pictures.

Keep looking at everyone's pics and you should get a good "idea" how its done and what will happen. Good luck, and hope my pdf's of what I did help. My drawings here are not instructions of how to built it, but it's just descriptive of what I did, and worked.

good luck, Dino
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dino Pizza WFO 7 sheet oven study.pdf (260.0 KB, 131 views)

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Avkroth, don't be threatened by the planning it takes to master that dome/entrance transition. It was a challenge to all of us. Study the different builds in the gallery and the link in my signature and you will see some different ways to tackle each challenge as you come to it. HTH

Dino, that is an awesome document you linked to! Have you started your own album(s) here on fornobravo? You can develop your album and illustrate your exceptional build, then put the album link in your signature. I think your build and supporting illustrations are a great help to those in the planning stage. Your sketchups were pivotal in my oven planning, thank you!

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 03-02-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Lee,
That's a good idea, I should organize my info better with album(s) and a link.

And thank you for doing such good job organizing information on threads and posts on this forum. You've greatly helped out the entire WFO community here!

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread