Old 10-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Serf

Angry Oven Crazy Friend

Hi all you fellow forum junkies. I have a friend who is oven mad. All he ever speaks about is the oven he is building in his yard. I have seen the oven and it is quite impressive, even though unfinished. However, he is DRIVING ME CRAZY! He seems to love the oven more than his children. How do i make him realise that as cool as the oven really is, it is just an oven. All it can really do is cook bread, pizza, bread and pizza. PLEASE HELP!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven Crazy Friend

Its kinda like a virus... once in the system it gets into you cells and replicates itself... you have been in contact with him you too could be infected as well.
Now think about it you have signed up in the forum And posted you first thread!... thats a worry

Regards Dave
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK,

I'm so sorry to report this to you but...

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Sorry.

John
Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Laborer

It's only a matter of time OvenKing! Once you've laid that first brick, you'll be hooked..
Old 10-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Journeyman

At first I was thinking "Oh sh*t, he is talking about me". Sometime all you want to do is finish the oven (I am still not done, by the way). Evey step make you feel like it's almost done, but in reality it's not.

Mike
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Peasant

Talking Re: Oven Crazy Friend

Well, I have been lurking around this fantastic forum for quite some time and I am sad to say that pizza king is talking about me. He is coming around and will get the bug if he hasnít already got it. I regret not posting my build as I went but better late than never I guess. You guys are right, itís like a virus, once you start it becomes addictive, and yes I am driving my friends and wife nuts about my oven . Not true about the children though.

Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Crazy Friend-img_1457.jpg   Oven Crazy Friend-img_1459.jpg   Oven Crazy Friend-img_1503.jpg   Oven Crazy Friend-img_1533.jpg  
Old 10-20-2011, 02:50 AM
Peasant

And some more pic's. I have never laid a brick in my life and could not have gone this far without the people in this forum. A special thanks to Dino for his vent transition details. As you can see Dino I copied yours. Hope you donít mind . Hopefully it will vent well.

Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Crazy Friend-img_1567.jpg   Oven Crazy Friend-img_1571.jpg   Oven Crazy Friend-img_1602.jpg   Oven Crazy Friend-img_1640.jpg   Oven Crazy Friend-img_1647.jpg  

Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Peasant

Well, itís been about six months and I have finally lit my first fire. I can taste the pizzas already. I plan to cure the oven for seven days lighting progressively larger fires every time. I have also rendered the base and am just trying to work out a colour scheme for the base and dome. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I have a question re insulation. I plan on using chicken wire over the fire blanket but am not sure how to attach the wire to the oven. Or do I just place it over the blanket and let the render/stucco do the rest. Any advice would be appreciated.

All the best.

Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Crazy Friend-img_1658.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Laborer

Hi Mick one way ive seen done was to tie off the wire to some thin sheet metal angle
some how fixed to the oven outer floor ,the bloke had cut slits in it so it radiused
around the oven.To your mate Ovenking i spead the disease to 3 others im now on thier wifes hit list,but that always changes once i get them over for "PIZZA" the worlds only known cure for such ailments.
cheers and good luck Peter.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Laborer

Hey Mick, I drilled holes into the concrete hearth slab at regular intervals around the dome (every 150mm or so), with the holes about 20mm off the dome wall (this was covered up by the 50mm blanket), and hammered in green plastic plugs, which I then put hooked screws into and used galvanised tie wire to crisscross the blanket over the dome and tie it all down. This was also handy for attaching the chicken wire to until my perlcrete was applied.

Tags
new builder, newbie, oven