Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Laurentius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Serf

Default opps is this really firebrick?

I came across an ad on Craigslist for some left over firebrick and long story short I bought them .I got them home and realized they are only 8" x 2 3/16th" x 4" a full 1 inch shy of the other firebrick I have and they are much rougher in texture and they weight about 5 lbs. Did i get taken? I never heard of 8" firebrick. The color is darker as well. any thoughts? how can i tell if it is real?

Last edited by CapeFearHydroGardens; 12-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: opps is this really firebrick?

Post a pic of the brick. As far as 8" vs 9", IMHO, you should be okay. The key is to insulate the dome well. The dome thickness will be 4" vs 4.5" and if you are really concern you can always clad the dome with some refractory material but I don't believe you will need to.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Master Builder

They are like people, they come in all sizes. Why would you think that they would be trying to screw you around, rather than making an honest mistake?
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFearHydroGardens View Post
I came across an ad on Craigslist for some left over firebrick and long story short I bought them .I got them home and realized they are only 8" x 2 3/16th" x 4" a full 1 inch shy of the other firebrick I have and they are much rougher in texture and they weight about 5 lbs. Did i get taken? I never heard of 8" firebrick. The color is darker as well. any thoughts? how can i tell if it is real?
The low duty fire brick I used is the same exact dimension and texture as you describe.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 12-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Serf

thanks everyone. As to your asking why do i think they might be "screwing me around" as you say well I didn't i actually thought someone might have screwed them around and I wanted to check before I said anything to them. I figured that they should be told that the project they used these brick for might not be safe. As it turns out I brought them to a brick place I discovered about 20 miles from my home and they were indeed firebrick. Jusr really crappy ones according to the brick guy at he brick store. oh and the only one that got screwed was me I paid a dollar apiece for these and the brick guy sells the exact same bricks for 60 cents each. So oh well live and learn.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFearHydroGardens View Post
thanks everyone. As to your asking why do i think they might be "screwing me around" as you say well I didn't i actually thought someone might have screwed them around and I wanted to check before I said anything to them. I figured that they should be told that the project they used these brick for might not be safe. As it turns out I brought them to a brick place I discovered about 20 miles from my home and they were indeed firebrick. Jusr really crappy ones according to the brick guy at he brick store. oh and the only one that got screwed was me I paid a dollar apiece for these and the brick guy sells the exact same bricks for 60 cents each. So oh well live and learn.
Gudday
a buck a brick.....bargain!.... I paid $3.30 a brick 3 years ago in Aust. how knows what there worth now

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 AM
Apprentice

The refractory supplier I have used has bricks in both sizes you mentioned , 1/2's and 1/4's and various arch shapes. I don't think you got ripped off.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Serf

Don't get me wrong I don't mind paying for things, but when you can get the same brick for .60 and you pay 1.00 you over paid. But like i said it is a learning experience. I thought I had done my homework but as the saying goes I only knew enough to be dangerous lol. At least i learned that the 88 bricks i got were real firebrick and that I have a good source right here in north Carolina for good firebrick and a pretty good price. I can get the medium duty 4x9x2 3/16 inch for only 1.50 USD each, all the other quotes I have had are 1.85-1.95 USD each.The best part is they are only twenty miles away. Again Thanks to everyone.