Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Serf

Default ooden wedges when building dome

Hi.

I note in the plans that you can use wooden wedges to hold the dome bricks at the right angle while you build it.

Do you put in some mortar in the gap and then remove wedge or do they(the wedges) stay in place?

cheers

dazza
Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: ooden wedges when building dome

Dazza,

If you use a IT (Indespensible Tool - Do a forum search) you won't need wedges for the most part. But during the course of construction if you do any tapering of the brick at all you will have fire brick wedges running out of your ears. I have seen some builders leave in others remove and fill with mortar. It is a matter of preference. Good luck.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Laborer

Default Re: ooden wedges when building dome

I used plastic builders wedges, cut lengthways (with a soldering iron, actually) to get more of them from a pack. I pulled them out once the mortar had settled (about 30 min) and then back-filled with the last of the mortar for the day. The plastic wedges have non slip ridges on them, so you can push them in to the exact length to get the height you want.
My build: