Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Serf

Default Newbie Pizza Oven DIY HELP!!!

Dear fellow helpers.

I have been wanting to create a pizza oven for some time now, and I have been looking at a lot of videos and instructions regarding this endeavour.

In every source I see, people seem to create a base foundation first.
The problem is, I have a BBQ previously left by the house owner made from brick. Is it possible to build a pizza oven on top of this brick BBQ?

I have linked 2 pictures of my existing BBQ,,
http://i.imgur.com/S0xWx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WewGV.jpg

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to build it on top?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Newbie Pizza Oven DIY HELP!!!

Hahnvihn...I dont see why you couldn't. What I would do is build a form on top and pour a 4" reinforced (rebar) concrete slab on top.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its way too small, by the time you put the dome then some insulation the oven will be just big enough to do 1 sausage at a time in it.
Les likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It would take about 30 minutes to demolish that BBQ so you could build your stand the right way. The stand is the easiest part of the build. Why cut corners there?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The weight of an oven is mostly directly under the inner dome. The insulation layer and thin outer shell are much lighter. You want the support under where most of the mass is, so a cantilevered slab is actually preferable to a stand with the support at the perimeter IMO. Creating formwork to do this is a little more difficult, but if it were mine that is how I would build it.
Cantilevering the supporting slab in this way with the 800 mm deep stand placed under the centre of mass (middle of inner dome wall) would give you a 700 mm diam internal dome. That's way bigger than the oven in your kitchen.

Last edited by david s; 10-24-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think it would be a pity to demolish a quite attractive and presumably solid base already built.It is not clear from your photos, but it appears that the slab extends in front of the Barbecue then bricks laid over it. Perhaps you could lay some more bricks over it to make the stand deeper, there seems to be plenty of width. You can test what is under the bricks by drilling right through a brick and into the foundation below it. The difficulty in drilling through this layer will give you an idea of its strength and when the drill suddenly drills really easily you know you've reached the end of the thickness of the slab. This way you can test the strength and thickness and get an idea if there is enough foundation support.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I think it would be a pity to demolish a quite attractive and presumably solid base already built
I have to disagree. That base is at best half the depth of an oven stand that would support even a 30" oven. So any use of it will involve building up the front of it to support the oven (where the pad is)- which likely involves concrete, which means the "attractive" part of it is likely to be covered up once the oven is built in order to make it look decent. And who knows what the BBQ was built on in terms of a slab? "presumably solid" is a big if.

I say if you're going to go to the effort to build an oven, don't start with a questionable oven stand. I think the saying is "penny wise and pound foolish"

Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Pizza Oven DIY HELP!!!

Most of us start from scratch when creating outdoor spaces. I wonder if you could incorporate your existing structure into an outdoor area designed for cooking and eating.

Specifically, can you build the oven on one side of the existing structure, then, modify that existing structure to serve as food prep area, a serving area, or a table top?

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
modify that existing structure to serve as food prep area, a serving area, or a table top?
Or really go out on a limb and put a bbq in it..........

Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Pizza Oven DIY HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Or really go out on a limb and put a BBQ in it..........
I was thinking of something he could use after the oven is built We've cooked everything in our oven; roasts, steaks, turkeys, casseroles and bread. All three cooks in the house plan to cook something using the residual heat after pizza. He won't use the BBQ that much Brickie

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.