Old 08-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Serf

Default New melbourne based build

Hi all,

Newbie here just starting down the route of the pizza oven triathlon!

I'm planning on using a the bricks left over by my builder during my house build (around 500) to create a built in BBQ, pizza oven, and bar fridge with a stainless steel bench area between the BBQ & oven in my alfresco area. The BBQ, bench top and beer fridge are pretty easy, and I can do myself, with a little help from a brickie friend to lay the bricks professionally. The oven however is causing some headaches. I would like to build a brick one from scratch, render it and maybe mosiac tile the render, however the Mrs wants a stainless steel one for it to "look nice" (The steel oven would still be wood fired, but just not bricked). If I build one it would need to be pretty small depth wise (less than a meter), but width is not so much an issue as I could even encroch over my beer fridge space if needs be, as the fridge will be below the bench top.

Anyone got any ideas on the style I could use for a short and fat oven, or indeed if the Mrs is correct and a steel oven will do the same thing?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New melbourne based build

The key to the type of pizza oven on this site is the thickness of the thermal mass plus the insulation. Since this is typically in the 8 to 9 inch range each side, it is hard to see how your 39 inch space (1.0 M ?) is going to work. You would be left with an oven that is 20 inches at best. Do you have a plan / sketch you can post of your proposed layout ?

As to the aesthetics, have your wife spend some time looking at the various builds on this site. Some are very attractive.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Serf

Hi, thanks for the reply, I was thinking exactly the same thing. So after a bit of a reshuffle of the plans, I'm thinking of putting the oven in the corner, thus allowing for a much bigger oven, and a better utilisation of the space. I think I can easily have an external length of 1.3m now before it becomes obtrusive. Even longer if i can somehow design an oven that tapers in at the back to fit into a standard 90 degree corner!?!?

Last edited by vzzbux; 08-29-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Serf

Ok, what about this stainless steel oven? The wife likes it, and that has now become the most important part of getting this off the ground...

LARGE WOOD FIRED PIZZA OVEN, BBQ, STOVE HAS HEAT BRICKS | eBay
Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Journeyman

Hello vzzbux,

If that is what pleases the wife then I'm sure you will be pleased with it too. However, I am not too sure there are many members who would endorse a metal "pizza" oven of the barrel style since the forum is mainly comprised of brick oven builders. There are a number of members that have made their own ovens from steel barrels, cast refractory and various other materials, and a good number of members who buy pre-made and kit ovens. Looking at the features listed by the manufacturer of the Pinnacle stainless steel oven it certainly appears adequate for the task. There is a world of difference between it and a wood fired brick oven though.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Serf

I understand exactly where your coming from Bob, thanks for the impartila review. I would like to build my own oven from bricks as per most on this forum, however Mrs Vzzbux doesn't quite trust my skills with bricks and mortar!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Journeyman

vzzbux,

A compromise with the wife is in order. If you are clever you can make it sound like it was her idea. (My wife likes it when I do that). Contact a metals fabrication shop to make an enclosure for your brick oven using your wife's design ideas. Ohhh ! a custom stainless steel enclosure. No one else would have one just like it, I'm sure. It can be done with flat sheet and easy bends, or as complex as you (her) wish.

Cheers,

Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Serf

You're devious Bob!! I like you a lot!!!!!!

Thanks, I'll let you know how I go. i'm thinking a tunnel brick oven would be easier to cover with a sheet of steel, with one curve, rather than a bowl shape sheet for a pompeii oven.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: New melbourne based build

Hi
Theres a mag avaliable in Oz called Backyard Ovens No2 ( I brought mine at the local newagents). They have a really cool oven in there made of brick with ceramic insulation and a steel exterior.
It that all that rusty style industrial look but the principal could easly translate to the sleek stainless look. (sorry a bit low on details my copies on loan).
Check out the forums photo at the top I think we have more Clay ovens than brick... which is good cause we should be a WFO forum.
Insulation... Consider ceramic it packs more punch to the inch.... 2 inchs is worth 4-6 inch of pearlite. And a hell of a lot easier to apply with less waiting for the oven to dry.

Anyway hope these help in some way
Regards Dave
PS post heaps of pics as you progress reading the written word put me to sleep...I like my books with heaps of pics
Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Serf

Hi

I am also think install stainless steel oven in my new home.